Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

3 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Another BP Question...

Hey,

I have yet another question about our newest BP "Pastel".. Anyways, sometimes whenever something touches remotely close to his head/neck area and he isn't in his terrarium, or even sometimes if he is in it he will freak out... [take your warm and flail it all about from side to side...thats pretty much him.] He doesnt do it until something goes near his head and not even all the time, sometimes he will just chill and let ya rub his head. It doesnt look like he is in pain when he does it. Just like he has a crazy itch or if he was a kid with a big spider crawling down his face. [He even did it recently when he accidentally crawled into my girlfriends hair and it touched his head] Its a odd occurrence as it doesnt happen all the time, and only happens when something is around his head.. I can see if i can get a video if that'd help..

I have to admit he is an odd one..even compared to our spider ball.. i learned early one he doesnt like hides, but prefers to snuggle in between his water dish and the back of his tank [all sides blacked out] under all the fake plant life. doesnt bother him, he does it no matter where it is or temperature. he just likes it.

So my question is...with him flailing sometimes, is it normal or what? Don't got any reptile vets close by at all and nor can i afford to drive up and have him looked at at the moment after all my car repairs..

Shifty
    New Brunswick, Canada.
    Male Pastel & Female Spider

Thanks
    Oh..on a side note because I'm sure someone will say it...

We don't just go into our BPs tanks and torment them...we normally leave them most of the day if not all day and take them out 5-10 minutes later in the evening or whenever we need to change bedding, etc.
    We leave him alone the most as he is incredibly shy and likes to act tuff whenever he is in his tank [hiss] but chills once he is out for cleaning or to be handled for a few minutes. Doesn't strike at all...literally he is super cliche ball python...

Temps and Humidity is dandy, he eats FT Completely fine once a week, sheds 100% every time since we had him.

Shifty
    New Brunswick, Canada.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    The head, neck, and last few inches of tail are very sensitive and a sudden touch can surprise them, much like if someone snuck up behind you and poked you in the ribs you'd jump. With mine, if I have to touch that area, I usually start mid-body and carefully move my hand toward the more sensitive area so they don't get startled.

Thanks
    I don't know if this is unusual, per ce, but definitely unique! I think it's just one of those cute things about these animals. They all have different personalities and characteristics!
    "Snake's gonna snake."
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thats the thing though...sometimes he is fine, other times even if i slowly bring a finger up his body as not to startle him..he still FLIPS out...like its heartbreaking to see him to it, worried he is going to hurt himself or something...its not a gentle flail its full on, OMG OMG OMG OMG A SPIDER IS ON ME, Drop everything scream flail your arms run away and wash your entire body in purel.. sort of flail lol

Shifty
    New Brunswick, Canada.