Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,100

3 members and 3,097 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Shayna - Our Albino Spider Ball

I'm no expert by any means but I'd have probably not handled her until she's had a few feeds . I'd have also waited ten days before trying the second one ( no handling in between ) .... Get into a routine of feeding ....ten day gap and then you can try after 7 days or so and handle then ...

Also read up on the hairdryer method as it generally works wonders for fussy Royals ...

She looks absolutely amazing by the way , I'm very envious !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-19-2018),dakski (02-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'm no expert by any means but I'd have probably not handled her until she's had a few feeds . I'd have also waited ten days before trying the second one ( no handling in between ) .... Get into a routine of feeding ....ten day gap and then you can try after 7 days or so and handle then ...

Also read up on the hairdryer method as it generally works wonders for fussy Royals ...

She looks absolutely amazing by the way , I'm very envious !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I've tried it all with Shayna over the years . Bottom line is she eats when she wants.

Sunday is feed day here, so I feed either 7 or 14 days, etc. I'll offer again in two weeks.

Also, the past few winters she took a rat or two over the 4-6 months before beginning to feed regularly again.

I appreciate the input on handling. Aside from the pics I took her out to clean her tank and that was it. I always leave her alone completely the day of feeding and often the day before as well.

I have had better success defrosting at room temp and then dropping the rat in hot water for 30 seconds or so instead of using the hairdryer. Seems to more uniformly heat the rat and she is more likely to take it. I know many people have success with the hairdryer and my other two snakes (BCI and Corn) will eat anything, prepared anyway!

Again, when it comes to eating, especially in the winter, she does what she wants and on her schedule, not mine!

Being a healthy weight, color, drinking regularly, and this being her yearly winter thing, I am not worried.

Thank you for pointing out how beautiful she is; I agree. She is a totally awesome snake all around!
    Last edited by dakski; 02-19-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks

So, Shayna happily gobbled down a medium rat tonight! I am moving to feeding every two weeks now. Reviewing my records, she would often eat every week, when not in fast, but then refuse a meal or two.

She didn't strike as usual. Waited for me to drop the rat and walk away. I hid in the corner, out of her sight, and about a minute later, she began eating. Got it down quick too!

Very happy she is off fast! I don't worry too much, and I know she will eat when ready, but it's so much more fun when they eat regularly!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Well, the winter fast is definitely over!

She is going to shed, but still gobbled down a medium rat last night! I shook it, put it down (which she prefers), and came back two minutes later to her chowing down.

I am feeding her every two weeks and she has been eating like a pig! Good deal!

That's 3 rats in the past 6 weeks, after not eating for 5 months. Glad she is eating again; it's so much easier on me!

Thanks

This morning I found a beautiful Shayna, along with a perfect shed, and a bunch of waste!

I'll post pictures soon, if I remember, but she doesn't look much different than last shed, LOL. She's been full grown and had the same colors for a while.

I also weighed her and she came in at 1600G even, which is her normal weight when not fasting.

I think she's a little less because she had a 100G rat Sunday night. Either way, definitely gaining weight back to her normal and up from her low of 1430G before her yearly winter fast ended 6 weeks ago.

She's an awesome snake, but funny! I picked her up out of her tank to clean it and gave her to Katie to hold for a few minutes (Katie got out early today because of the Noreaster!). She was doing great, then when I took her back, and draped her from my neck, she bumped her head into my chest, freaked out, bolted backwards, hit the back of her head against my hand, then bolted forward, and hit my chest again! She can be such a spaz! She spooks so easily, but also gets over it, virtually immediately. Good thing she's not a biter, otherwise I am sure she would have nailed me with how easily she freaks out! Really, she is an incredibly gentle soul.

Thanks

My niece, Meghan, came over tonight and loves the reptiles! Shayna is her favorite because her favorite color is yellow. Shayna has known Meghan since Shayna was about 6 months old and Meghan was 2! They are buddies. Obviously, Meghan didn't have as much responsibility/freedom with her or the other reptiles when she was younger. She's 7 now and I am allowing her to hold the snakes now (while supervised).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-01-2018),Kam (11-26-2019)

Thanks

Outside pictures - 80F today!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-02-2018),C.Marie (05-01-2018),Kam (11-26-2019),venga (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    So beautiful, love her coloring
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-01-2018),venga (05-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Outside pictures - 80F today!

Amazing looking snake for that combo. Albino has always been my fav recessive and whatever line yours came from is gorgeous with the spider pattern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to venga For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by venga View Post
    Amazing looking snake for that combo. Albino has always been my fav recessive and whatever line yours came from is gorgeous with the spider pattern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Of course, 2 days after I took this picture, Shayna's eye clouded over, and she shed last night.

Can't wait to get some pictures of her with fresh paint in the next few days!

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast