Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

2 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Figment - Our Hypo Lavender Corn Baby

That really did make me smile,poor Katie at least she found it funny eventually

I can remember in the early 80's when I had my grey rat snake my little brother had her out and her went down his pyjama too and messed absolutely everywhere,boy did I laugh as he was heaving his guts up trying to get washed,
    She may want to check for sausage butt before the next handling, lollllll

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 08-11-2018 at 03:30 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Figment shed, and pooped, last night; in the cage this time!

He looks sharp and is holding about 650G. Sorry for the somewhat blurry pictures, especially around his head. I took about 15 photos and these were the best ones (with the iPhone granted). He will not hold still to save his life! Friendly as anything, but a mover!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-06-2018),richardhind1972 (08-23-2018)

Thanks

Figment stretched out on my lap and then some. He's a big boy.

[IMG][/IMG]

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-06-2018),richardhind1972 (08-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Another cool critter D. You have some very nice animals.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Another cool critter D. You have some very nice animals.
    Thanks El-Ziggy!

My collection is full at 8 reptiles. I had to be careful with all my picks. Glad you appreciate my taste!

If you haven't, check out Solana's (my Scaleless Sunglow Motley Red Factor Corn) thread from today. Took some pictures in daylight today and she is stunning.

Pictures don't do Figment justice. First, he has purple eyes! I can never capture that well with a photo. Not that he would stay still long enough anyway! He's a mover; a total sweetheart, but a mover! Secondly, the subtle nuance in his pinks and purples never capture on photos. Finally, his coloring is not "flat." Phillydubs was over this past weekend and was blown away with the marbling/coraling in his pattern and colors. He is full of nuance and needs to be seen to be appreciated.

He's also just a really cool dude. Moves, but easy to handle, and never defensive or aggressive, just curious, and a little ADHD. He has skipped one meal for me in almost 5 years as well (he was in shed and I didn't know and offered a weaned rat as opposed to a mouse which is all he's ever eaten). So he's a champ!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-29-2018)

Thanks

Figment was about 640G when I switched him to every other week feeding, still a jumbo mouse (35-45G).

Since March, he's lost about 5-10G and is down to 630-635G or so. He might be healthier at that weight, and it's hardly dramatic weight loss, however, I am still feeding prey that is pretty easy for him to handle.

I fed him yesterday, even though he ate the week before, and plan on feeding 2 weeks apart for 3 feedings (6 weeks) and then two feedings in subsequent weeks (2 weeks). I'll watch him. If he starts gaining weight quickly, or dramatically, I'll go back to every two weeks. Otherwise, I think that pattern will help him maintain a good weight. He's sturdy, but not overweight now. No "love handles" around his vent or anything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-12-2018)

Thanks

Figment shed last night (a perfect shed - normal here in the dakski house) and looks good, although I neglected to take pictures. Sorry. I'll get some soon.

I weighed him dry and he's 635G. Since I started the 3 feedings over 6 weeks (every two weeks) and 1 feeding on week 7 (one week), so a total of 4 feedings in 7 weeks, he has been maintaining weight and seems happy and healthy, as always.

I just talked to Don Soderberg, coincidently, and he said to feed adult mice, not the fattier jumbos, every week, instead of a jumbo every two weeks.

So, that's what I plan to do.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.
    Last edited by dakski; 10-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks

Figment got his first adult mouse (30G) in a little while tonight (as opposed to a jumbo - 35-45G). As stated in the previous post, I will feed adults, generally about 25G, weekly (as opposed to every two weeks with jumbos), and see how he does on weight. If he starts gaining again, I'll either switch to every 10 days, or 3 weeks in a row and then 2 weeks off, and then 3 weeks in a row. That would be the opposite of what I had been doing with jumbos to maintain his weight.

OTHER COOL NEWS: Katie/SunshineWalker fed Figment tonight and she did great! She still won't touch the F/T mouse (I checked to make sure it was fully defrosted, dried it off after the quick hot water bath, etc.), but she did get it on the tongs herself and offered to Figment all by herself. I am really proud of her. She's been feeding Solana almost every time since we got her, but a (now) 30G animal doesn't hit as hard as a 635G animal. Plus, Figment is a freak, he'll grab and wrap and roll all over the tank. A few times, I was afraid he was going to rip the mouse apart coiling it!

The last time she fed him, months ago, before we got Solana, she got nervous when he headed towards the mouse she ended up dropping it on him (from 2 inches). He was fine and quickly grabbed, coiled, and ate, but Katie was a) scared and b) nervous she had hurt him by dropping the mouse. She definitely did not. If striking, coiling, and rolling back and forth the 3FT of the tank doesn't hurt him, a 2 inch dropped mouse sure isn't going to.

That time I also opened the tank and helped guide the tongs. NOT THIS TIME! ALL BY HERSELF!

She opened the tank, offered the mouse, and right before Figment was about to strike, she gently put it down in front of him. Before she could get the tongs out, he was on it and coiled. This time, she laughed, and said he was a "good snake." BIG IMPROVEMENT! She also watched the entire feeding. The adult mouse went down pretty quick, but she watched from head to tail going down and the big yawn at the end too!

Very proud of my honey. She's really embraced these new pets, has one of her own now (Esmeralda/Ezzy the Leachie), and has been helping with the Yafe (new carpet python who came with/got while shipping an RI). She's wonderful. Last night, Yafe got his first antibiotic injection to cure the RI. I held him, she administered the injection and did fantastic! She was more comfortable with me holding him and she's in healthcare and was happy to give the shot. Additionally, I shake because of meds I take for immune suppression (Kidney Transplant recipient), and my fine motor skills are similar to someone with Parkinson's. He's so small, I am afraid I will hurt him. Anyway, great team effort, and to see the devotion she has to Yafe, already (he's been with us since Tuesday night), and how she's embracing and interacting with all the other reptiles, makes me so happy.

She was okay with them and then things went downhill after Behira (BCI) nailed me (food response). Hook training has fixed that issue, and Katie even takes her out of her tank now (after using the hook to make sure she knows it's handling time). That's a huge step. Feeding Solana and Figment is a huge step. Getting her own Leachie! Huge step. I owe most of this to Solana. Katie is enamored by her and has been interacting with and feeding her since day one. She has brought the reptile lover out of Katie and now we really share my passion. I say my passion, because she enjoys it now, but I am the guru with temps, feeding, humidity, my excel spreadsheet with weights, food size, bowel movements, etc. Maybe one day she will get there? We will see.

Either way, very happy to share this wonderful hobby with the love of my life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Katie has come a long way, but she can't help it, with a good influence like you & so many cool pets to practice on.

My Florida rat snakes are feisty-feeders that wrap & roll too. I know exactly what you mean, they'll even fall out of branches when they grab the prey, like
    nothing else matters. Some snakes are MUCH scarier to feed than others are...some are very polite (like most Trans Pecos). Keeps it interesting.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-06-2018)

Thanks

Figment ate a 25G mouse today, following a 30G mouse last week. I switched him to a weekly schedule again with much smaller, and less fatty prey.

So far, he seems to be maintaining weight, but only time will tell. I can alway stretch a feeding or two if he starts gaining.

Glad to be on a less fatty diet with more frequent feedings for him; help avoid health issues.

Not sure why I didn't make the connection with jumbo mice and ex-breeder rats. I would never feed an ex-breeder to Behira (BCI) because of the fat content. However, I know BCI's are more sensitive to that than Corns. Still, I am glad I asked Don Soderberg the question. Figment is a big boy and feeding a 25G mouse every two weeks is probably not going to cut it at almost 650G.

Also, Katie fed Figment again this week. She shook the mouse until he grabbed it off the tongs. Great job!

Additionally, when she opened the tank door to offer food, he snuck his head out quick and she redirected him back in the tank with the mouse. Another point for Katie!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-16-2018)

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast