Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

1 members and 3,444 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Feeding question from a newbie

First post here but been lurking for a while. I am new to BP's and have been reading and trying to learn as much as I can. This is probably a stupid question, but I am curious and a little concerned. I have a 600 gram female pinstripe and a 150 gram normal. Both have been feeding very good on F/T rats. The young normal quit eating when he went into pre-shed (first shed since I've had him). Today his eyes cleared up and he was cruising around like he was hungry. Hasn't actually lost his skin yet, but I decided to feed him anyway. When I presented the rat, he took his time smelling of it and then very slowly nudged at the rats head, slowly opened his mouth, and started to take it in and swallow it. There was no aggressive strike, no coiling around it, etc. I was jiggling it to simulate movement but he wasn't aggressive at all. Both of my snakes have always "attacked" their meals. Is this unusual or is he sick? Maybe not yet seeing very well?

Thanks
    That probably means it's a smart snake and knows its no threat to him. Some snakes slowly begin to do this. The last time mine ate (Was a little over a month ago) he did almost the same thing. He half coiled around it and only tightened down to hold his food in place to swallow it. I'm fairly sure they will strike as usual if they were presented live prey. Nothing to worry about lol, but at least you can say you have a puppy dog tame snake.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!

Thanks

Re: Feeding question from a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT3g View Post
    That probably means it's a smart snake and knows its no threat to him. Some snakes slowly begin to do this. The last time mine ate (Was a little over a month ago) he did almost the same thing. He half coiled around it and only tightened down to hold his food in place to swallow it. I'm fairly sure they will strike as usual if they were presented live prey. Nothing to worry about lol, but at least you can say you have a puppy dog tame snake.
    lol. I won't quit using the feeding tongs just yet.

Thanks

Re: Feeding question from a newbie

Mine did that the first time offering a rat instead of a mouse......and did it again to the second rat fuzzy I offered yesterday.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk