Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

1 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    First of all, Vaughn, thanks for your help. As it turned out, I was not allowing enough time for the temp gauge to correctly measure the temps. That being said, my cool side still never rose above the temperature of the room. Obviously a cool side at 72 or 73 is not going to be sufficient. This is inspite of the fact that the warm side rose as high as 109F! I found it insanely odd that two temp gauges that were about two feet apart could rattle off such different readings.

I know that I can cut a hole in this thing for a heat lamp to supplement the temps on the cool side & I know that I can use more substrate to bring the temps down on the warm side. More frustrating than either of these two things is the fact that I was always told rubbermaid enclosures were amazing when it come to humidity. Well, despite the fact that I have a HUGE waterbowl inside the tank AND it is right next to the humidity gauge, my humidity stayed at a steady 34% last nite! This is in a rubbermaid. The tank that Hissy is in right now is a glass tank with a screen top & the humidity in it never dropped below 48% last nite! This has me completely frustrated! I have to switch tanks soon because she is gettin too big for her 20 gallon. I went with a rubbermaid because it is so much cheaper & it is supposed to be an easier way to maintain temps & humidity. So far all I am finding is more difficulty in holding proper temps & an extreme lack of humidity. Anyone got any suggestions to help me out?
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Can you post a pic of the enclosure? There may be things you can do. A front view and top view both would be good.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    also if you aren't using a digital thermometer/hygrometer i'd bet that the readings are just off. before i got the digital model i thought my humidity was too low because of the readings i was getting from my analog gauges. i got the digital and it turned out i was pretty much right on.
    - Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Unfortunately Marla, I don't have a digi-cam or a scanner. The best I can do is describe it for you, which i will do below.

Mlededee, i use the digital thermo/hydro combo by acu-rite that you get at walmart. I know that my readings are accurate, but thank you for the suggestion.

Now to describe in the best detail that I can:

It is a 28 gallon rubbermaid that I layed on its side. I have 12 holes (about the same circumfrence as a pen) on each of the long sides (which are actually the lid & the bottom because like I said, it is on its side). There is between a half inch to an inch between the heat pad & the bottom of the container. The substrate is a reptile rug. The water bowl that sits in the middle is really big. The cool side somehow manages to stay at room temp only even though it is only gauged about a foot from the edge of the heating pad.

I know that this would be FAR easier with a picture or two but hopefully based on the description somebody can give me some ideas. Thanks in advance for all of your help!
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    OK, first, the taller the container, the harder I think it is to get temps and humidity right. It can be done, though.

Going without a picture, a few suggestions: reduce the space between the container and heat source, because you just need enough room for air to circulate between them, and turn your heat pad a little lower if it's going over 100. Next, you might want to scootch the heat pad over a wee bit to help warm up the cool side. Then, if your water dish is plastic, consider switching to glass or ceramic or similar. You can get a round ceramic casserole dish at wally world for just a few bucks that should work to help conduct heat and up the humidity. Finally, give it hours after making changes to see what effect they'll have before deciding if they've made a difference.

Hope this helps. Get back to us and let us know your progress.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks Marla, I am gunna make those changes right now & see what sort of differences it makes. It is going to be a bit mis-leading right now because it is real hot & humid out here right now anyways.

Oh, & the water dish is ceramic rock type stuff, not plastic.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    what do you think about using a stainless steel dish? would that be condusive to helping out with low humidity the same way a glass or ceramic one is? i ask because i have one that i want to start using and i'd like to take the humid hide out if i can because my tank is on the small side right now. otherwise i may take a little trip to walmart for some ceramics.
    - Emily

Thanks
    hey eddie, you'll get it. i work as a service tech in hvac so heating and cooling issues interest me. humidity is basically controlled by moisture and ventilation. too much ventilation lowers humidity, not enough ventilation you have too much humidity. high temps can also dry out the air (109 deg. might do this) heat tape, heat pads and flexwatt provide good heat without overdrying. you can check your hydrometer by breathing on it it should rise considerably. a humidifier in the area the cage is should also raise moisture. temps above 90-95 can lower humidity. properly setup and ventilated you should be able to keep temps and humidity in check with a spray bottle. i spray my green trees twice daily and my bp once daily. just going to have to experiment a little

hope this may help

thanks

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlededee
    what do you think about using a stainless steel dish? would that be condusive to helping out with low humidity the same way a glass or ceramic one is? i ask because i have one that i want to start using and i'd like to take the humid hide out if i can because my tank is on the small side right now. otherwise i may take a little trip to walmart for some ceramics.
    Yep, anything that conducts heat well will be a good water dish material if humidity is a challenge. I typically find stainless steel pet dishes are easier to overturn than pyrex pie plates, casserole dishes, and such, so you might check it for tippy-ness.

ALSO, I just saw some cool new pet dishes from Rubbermaid at my Dollar Tree. They have non-skid feet, sloped sides, and best of all, ball-python entrance and exit doorways for going underneath. I can't find them on the Rubbermaid site, but i think I'll be stocking up on some and may be able to upload a pic after I get them. They are plastic, though, so not for use in enclosures where humidity tends to be too low unless you also have a humid hide or just use them as hide instead of water dish.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    those new bowls sound pretty sweet. i may have to check those out. the stainless dish that i got has a non-skid rubber edge around the bottom and is also sloped so that it really can't tip over. its just like a one of those plastic bowls that is partially hollow underneath and is sloped outward on the outside and inward on the inside. i tested every dish in the store for "tippy-ness". my fiance was very patient as i spent more time than any human has ever spent before in the doggie dish department at petsmart.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast