Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,446

2 members and 3,444 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Heat question

Thanks

Heat question

I'm looking for some answers about heating my glass aquarium.. I know that it's not the optimal conditions however I got hustled by the guy at Petsmart and right now I've invested enough money into it that I need to keep it.. I use the aluminum foil trick (as well as misting)and humidity hasn't been an issue but my concern is the overall temperature of the aquarium... I only use a UTH and I have a gen. light to simulate night and day.. Is there a need for an additional heat source? And also should I put the light on the Warmside may be a stupid question but why not ask.. I was also wondering if there was opinions on monitoring the general humidity and temperature.. I've read about herpstats and other devices I'm just not sure I understand exactly how they work and what they're exactly used for any clarifying comments would be appreciated thanks..

Thanks

Re: Heat question

Just wondering what you have for a top on your tank? Also Temp guns work really well for checking temps. Not sure about the kind my local pet store uses but it's super accurate, I'll find out and post it tomorrow ( I've still got to get one myself) I'm also going to be moving my bp to a aquarium but im flipping it on its side and placing sliding plexiglas doors on it. I'll just be using a uth on one end with his hide and that's it for heat. It's what I use now and so far he's never been stressed. He comes out regularly to cool himself and seems content. Never missed a meal and usually is in a pretty good mood.

Thanks

Also why do you feel you got hustled at pet smart I was under the impression that aquariums were good to use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GregsMoko View Post
    Also why do you feel you got hustled at pet smart I was under the impression that aquariums were good to use?
    they function fine if you can arrange heat and humidity in a functional way, however they generally are inefficient and a pain to clean.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

You can get the cork board and insulate the sides and back with that. I used blankets on the sides, back and half the front and still had problems with temps when it got cold. You don't need to simulate day and night for them. The light coming in your windows will do it naturally without wasting electricity. You need a thermostat or rheostat to regulate your uth. Usher wise it can get too hot and burn your snake or start a fire. It's happened before. I have a rheostat but don't like it much. I'm looking at getting a herpstat. The screen top you can cover 2/3rds of it but need to make sure air can circulate. I had foil under saran wrap for years and it helped some with humidity. You can get a good thermo hygrometer at Walmart for like $12. Make sure it has a probe that you can place in the warm hide. If you get a herpstat place the probe on your uth.