Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Strange cough?

Thanks

Strange cough?

I was just sleeping and I thought my dog was choking so I got up and it was my ball python. He had his mouth open and was in a "S" position and it was coughing or sneezing pretty loud. It sounded almost like a cat trying to cough up a hairball. He did it three times and then went about his business. I took him out of the tank and he has no mucus or bubbles in or around his nose and mouth and no noises breathing. There is no whistling or popping ethier. Temps are 82 cool side, ambient 85-86 in the middle with a constant 94 degree hot spot controlled by a thermostat. My snake is in my room and I have never heard this before.
    1.0 Pied

Sent from my Apple iPhone 5S

Thanks
    Does he appear to have had a bowel movement recently? If a snake has a particularly large poo, they will open their mouth while passing it, they strain to excrete just like any other animal. I have a suspicion that what you were hearing was a fart, not a cough.

If it was in fact a cough, I'd definitely schedule a vet appointment.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

kilopular (05-11-2014),piedpython (03-10-2014)

Thanks

Strange cough?

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Does he appear to have had a bowel movement recently? If a snake has a particularly large poo, they will open their mouth while passing it, they strain to excrete just like any other animal. I have a suspicion that what you were hearing was a fart, not a cough.

If it was in fact a cough, I'd definitely schedule a vet appointment.
    I think you solved it! I took a closer look and there is fresh feces right where he was doing that noise. Strange thing is some of it is solid and some is wet almost like diarrhea. I've had him for two months now and he has passed solid urates but has not had a bowel movement. Maybe he is constipated and straining?
    Last edited by piedpython; 03-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    1.0 Pied

Sent from my Apple iPhone 5S