Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

1 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need a new pet

Thanks
    You said " but i can't a Ferret for a while because of money and the people i live with are prejudice"...Your family is Prejudice of a Ferret? Wow what did the Ferrets do?
    ~~~~~ROACH ~~~~~
    1.0 Normal
    1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Banana
    0.1 100% Het Piebald
    1.1 Het Lavender Albino
    1.0 Lesser
    0.1 Killer Bee
    0.1 Spider
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Butter Bee
    1.1 Mojave
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% Het Piebald
    1.0 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Lesser Bee
    0.1 Super Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: need a new pet

Ferrets do not smell bad if you feed it a species appropriate diet. As in a raw or whole prey diet as someone else mentioned. Most kibbles are junk and will lead to health issues. The only good kibble is Wysong Epigen 90 since they don't use filler. Its all animal sources. But in general a low quality food will make them smell worse.

Getting a privately bred ferret will be better too since they are bred for health and longevity. All pet store ferrets are commercialized mill ferrets. Basically animals from a ferret puppy mill. They are poorly bred and genetically prone to illness.

Ferrets do not need a vet 3x a year if its perfectly healthy or not elderly.

But in general, you are right. they are not cheap to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
    You said " but i can't a Ferret for a while because of money and the people i live with are prejudice"...Your family is Prejudice of a Ferret? Wow what did the Ferrets do?
    Most likely the musky odor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks

My dad lived with a friend who kept a ferret and it smelled terrible so he doesn't want one in the house. I've told him that if you get their scent glands moved and provide basic care of them and their enclosure they don't really smell but he's set in his ways.

Thanks

So in conclusion to this post I now have two little ratties, Vincent and Peter, and hopefully when they cross the rainbow bridge I'll be able to get my ferret so i thank everyone for the ferret advice, it'll come in very useful. Thank you everyone for all for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Good luck.

Also, scent glands don't really impact their body odor if you remove them or not.
    The scent glands are like a skunks. The ferret with glands can 'poof' when they are excited or frightened. But it's more of a fart that will dissipate within a few minutes. So when you descent a ferret, the only thing you are getting rid of is their ability to 'poof'.

Thanks

I'd like ot surprise my little fuzzbutt without worrying about her poofing, but that sounds like that'd be more useful for a monitor lizard, my boyfriend forbade me from getting one after i told them that aside from tail, teeth, and claws they also defend themselves by projecting diarrhea onto their enemy, and honestly i can't blame him.

Registered User LivingwithBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Ever considered a small parrot? And I also wanted to add that reptiles can be cuddly too! Get a beardie, or another intelligent lizard species.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Pet rats are the best. Smart, small and easy to train.

Even if you could afford one ferrets stink(yes even with those scent glands removed) and no matter how hard you try the only use a litter box about half the time. And they have a ton of health problems(impaction because they eat everything they arent supposed to) and they have hormone problems and cancer.I had three of them and friend that had half a dozen(her house covered in poo) and half developed some sort of health problem as they aged. I fed mine ferret specific food and made my own in a blender(fresh chicken, eggs, fancy oils, etc). So diet doesnt mean healthy ferrets. One died of cancer, one eventually went hairless and cost a bundle for hormone shots and still died and the other got out of the house after chewing through the dryer vent hose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda2 View Post
    Pet rats are the best. Smart, small and easy to train.

Even if you could afford one ferrets stink(yes even with those scent glands removed) and no matter how hard you try the only use a litter box about half the time. And they have a ton of health problems(impaction because they eat everything they arent supposed to) and they have hormone problems and cancer.I had three of them and friend that had half a dozen(her house covered in poo) and half developed some sort of health problem as they aged. I fed mine ferret specific food and made my own in a blender(fresh chicken, eggs, fancy oils, etc). So diet doesnt mean healthy ferrets. One died of cancer, one eventually went hairless and cost a bundle for hormone shots and still died and the other got out of the house after chewing through the dryer vent hose.
    x2

I had a pet fancy rat in middle/ high school. One of the best animals I've known. It took three days to litter train her ( I made a small litter box with tissue boxes). Sniffy used to hang out on my shoulder. Just know that they only live 3-5 years, sometimes seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123