Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

0 members and 3,041 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera question

Thanks

Camera question

Looking to buy a camera currently using my phone camera lol! Been looking at a samsung nx-300 budget is about 500$ if anyone has any other suggestions im open to them!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Camera question

Canon Rebel t3i. Love it.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Shann (03-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Canon or Sony

Rebel series has great reviews
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Thanks! Ill look into both!

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks
    I also like the Rebel series. I would suggest getting some lights, a tripod, and a WhiBal card first. These are all cheaper than a camera and can be used with your mobile phone (if you get an adapter for your phone) to improve your pictures and you will want these for when you get a nice camera. Also, if you get the Rebel, get a remote trigger for it. You'll get better shots on your tripod.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

Zach Cedor (03-07-2014)

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice

Thanks
    You can get a rebel XSi for around that price these days. An XTi you can definitely get for that price, with a little room for a better lens maybe. Both will serve you well
    1.0 Normal - Starvin' Marvin
    1.0 Jigsaw - Kaa

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks
    What are you planning on using this new camera for? I ask, because the that would really help with the recommendation. I have a Rebel XT that I like, but if you are going to go for a DSLR, then there is a lot about photography to learn. I am doing all of this research on exposure, lighting, and lenses so that I can take full advantage of the great features of the Rebel XT. Any of the Rebels offer a great camera body and a good lens to start, but the real advantage is that you can buy different lenses for different situations. The problem is that the lenses aren't cheap. A good 50 mm prime lens for my camera costs between $340-$400. But that is a great lens that will last for a long time and allow me to shoot in a wide variety of light conditions. I really want to get more into photography, so I am willing to spend the time researching, saving and money that it is going to take to go with a good DSLR set up.

Around Christmas time, I received a Nikon Cool Pix L28 from the gift give away at work. This is a rather nice, but in expensive point and shoot camera. It takes nice pictures, has lots of megapixels (around 20 I think, more than my Rebel), is really small and only costs around $100. It is real convenient to take with me to different things (slips into a pocket and is there when I need it).

As I said earlier, there are certain items that you will need to do indoor photography, no matter which camera you choose (good lights, something to diffuse or soften the lights, a tripod and a card to help with white balance). In talking with a coworker who was a professional photographer, and in doing the research that I have been doing, I have learned that it is possible to get some great shots with simple point and shoot cameras. No matter which camera one uses, if taking photographs inside, one needs really good lights. For most photographers, flashes are the preferred light for portraits and other subjects that can move (snakes can move, but usually slower, so that means that flashes aren't the only solution). Continuous lighting is the other option (and if you want to shoot video, this is the only option that works for both). That said, you really want a lot of light for continuous lighting. If you use incandescent (tungsten) or halogen lights, they give off a lot of heat, so compact florescent lights (CFLs) are often the best option. But CFLs usually don't do a great job of getting the colors right unless you get a Daylight Balanced (5000K to 6500K light temperature) full spectrum bulb. To get the best shot possible, you will want the camera to be as still as possible, therefore a tripod will be desired. If you get a reference card, like a WhiBal card, the white balance on the camera can be adjusted to correct how the camera captures colors and it can be used if you choose to edit your photographs later to fine tune the colors.

If you are mainly wanting to take pictures of your snakes then consider this, just for fun, I looked on ebay and found a tripod mount for my mobile phone (it was only $5). The tripod I recently bought was this one (http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APLT4-...=camera+tripod) about $40, as for lights, you might consider something like this to start (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photography-...item3a776aa7e3) a little more than $30 and I would not get CFLs that were less than 45 watts, to diffuse the light you might get one of these two options (http://www.ebay.com/itm/StudioPRO-30...item3a8af302c6 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Studio...item2c78ee79c7) you should get a 24 inch or bigger light tent so that you can do comparison shots of juveniles and adults around $25-$30, and a reference card like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/WhiBal-G7-Wh...item56615f0af1) $20. You should be able to spend about $130 and get everything you need to take better pictures with your mobile phone and the only thing that you wouldn't use if you choose to get a higher end camera would be the tripod mount that holds your phone on your tripod ($5). I would really suggest starting here and seeing what you can get with your phone before going for a higher end camera unless you want the camera for other things too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

Zach Cedor (03-08-2014)

Thanks

go with a canon or Nikon digital SLR

Thanks

The camera would basically be for snake pictures and videos, vacations family portraits things of that nature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast