Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,775

0 members and 2,775 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Removing flexwatt clips/changing wiring

I have my rack running flexwatt that was wired together for me using the clips.

I'm expanding the rack, and need to join more strips to my existing chain of strips.

Is it possible to get the wire out of the clip to wire the new strips into the chain? Or do I have to cut the clips away and completely rewire the last strip of my existing chain in order to expand it?

Thanks.

Thanks
    What you can do is clip the wires and splice them in with the new wires. There's these plastic caps you put on the ends to insulate, as well as using electrical tape. You have to make sure you keep them wired in series. I did this when I had to change my rack height to allow for a taller tank. Use the same wire if possible.

I think that taking the clips off of the tape might ruin either the clips or the tape.

Thanks
    I wouldn't take the clips off the tape, I had to cut a small piece off when I did that, which was no big deal for me as I was soldering the connections anyway. And you are wiring in parallel, not series. Is there a particular reason for not just adding another cord? Otherwise just splice into the existing wires to make the connection.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Right, that makes sense and would be about as easy as I was hoping it would be.

I will be using a different chord for the new strips, was just concerned with how difficult it would be to connect to the old chord.

I'm still a bit on the learning curve when it comes to working with wires (I can solder, though).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Removing flexwatt clips/changing wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    I'm still a bit on the learning curve when it comes to working with wires (I can solder, though).
    If you can solder, then forget the clips imo. Personally I like using liquid electrical tape to insulate. also you could just solder onto the old tape and you're done.

Thanks
    Actually, unless you are very good with soldering, stay with the clips. I agree it gives a more solid and safe connection, especially when insulated with the liquid tape(I do this too) but it is VERY easy to overheat the heat tape in the process and have the conducting strip lift or even melt the plastic.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.