Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

2 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Ummmm..strange ball behavior?

So about 3 weeks ago I got a T8 for Loki. Last night I saw him with his face and upper body jammed between the fluorescent light and the back of the tank. I thought he was stuck and eased him out. He shot me a dirty look and went right back to his new spot. He's doing it again this morning. Concerning or no?

Thanks
    How hot is it there?
    1.0 lesser yellowbelly
    1.0 banana
    1.0 black pastel
    0.1 lesserbee (Alice)
    1.0 firefly (cranky Frankie)
    0.1 fire (Dottie)
    0.1 het clown
    1.0 double het pied/clown (Stryker)
    1.0 bearded dragon (Ziggy)
    0.1 sulcata (Ellie)
    1.0 mini schnauzer (Bailey)
    1.0 b rainbow boa (Trip)

Thanks
    I haven't checked yet but he's not against the bulb, he's against the plastic where the switch is so I can't imagine very warm. The temps are good and he has two hides, he just seems to want to be there instead.

Thanks

Re: Ummmm..strange ball behavior?

I do not have a T8, but from what I know AP makes good products. I currently have a tub system and do not deal with lights in the cages. Bright light in the enclosure can stress them out and as long as the room has a somewhat natural light cycle ambient room light works just fine. What kind of hides do you have in the enclosure? For cages like that with a glass front, there should be a hide on the cool side and a hide on the warm side by the hotspot, so the snake can thermoregulate while not having to compromise. During the summer, I keep the hotspot around 90-92 F and the room temp is in the mid 70s. If large enough hides are not present, maybe he is just looking for a little security or searching for some extra heat.

EDIT: I just saw that you posted above before I submitted my reply. Try turning the light off for a few days while the snake adjusts to it's new home and see how it does.
    Last edited by Pals BP; 03-03-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    - Phil

Pictures of My Reptiles

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
    ~ Francis Bacon

Thanks

Re: Ummmm..strange ball behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertsKitty View Post
    So about 3 weeks ago I got a T8 for Loki. Last night I saw him with his face and upper body jammed between the fluorescent light and the back of the tank. I thought he was stuck and eased him out. He shot me a dirty look and went right back to his new spot. He's doing it again this morning. Concerning or no?
    My bumblebee does that all the time also. Not sure exactly why her temps are fine and she has two hides. I used to worry but it seems she can wedge herself up there and drop down easily so I leave her alone now.

Thanks
    Glad to hear sometime else's snake does it to. He's back I'm his hide now. He just occasionally wanders back over to do it again!