Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

2 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have a friend that runs a pet store and he can get me a hogg Island for 175 which I have looked around and that is a pretty good deal. Can anyone help me find out if it is an inbreed. No pics because it is at the store :cry:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How can I tell if it is a real Hogg Island?

If he's your friend, he won't sell you an inbred.
    Didn't you just get a Burm? Maybe you should spend some time getting used to taking care of that one before you buy a new snake.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-
    ....and lots and lots of feeder mousies.....

Thanks
    UberAlice has a point. maybe you should take some time and see how it goes with the burm
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Well, See now that I have a snake my girlfriend wants one. I dont want to get her a BP because I already have two. Yes, I did just get a burm. She is doing great also. I have a question tho I am going to put peat moss in her tank in a wekk or so........right now I have paper towels. Is it ok for snakes to be in peat moss. Let me know.

Thanks
    If you use moss as a substrate, it can easily lead to belly rot if it's really wet all the time. Probably not the best choice if you ask me.

And yeah...you just got a burm(which you seemed to rush into) and now you're thinking about getting another snake. Geez, give it a month or something. I dunno...you seem to be rushing into your snakes pretty fast. Seems like they're impulse buys...

Also, just because you already have bp's, doesn't mean you should shy away from getting one for your gf. It'd be easier to maintain if it's her first snake. Don't just rush out and buy a hog island boa. Slow down a little and take your time. Consider your girlfriend too. If she's going to be taking care of the snake, then ask her what she'd like. Maybe a ball python or corn snake would be better than a boa.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    take at least a month to research and find out everything you can about the particular snake you are looking into before you buy it. spend another two weeks making purchases and getting the setup clean, tested for temps and humidity, etc., and ready to go. once you have it up and running with consistency, then post some pics, ask questions, etc. it is imperative that you do this before bringing a snake home with you. snakes can make wonderful pets, but they do NOT make good impulse buys. they require a certain amount of work and knowledge both ahead of time and during ownership. you don't want to end up regretting buying one. if you are prepared beforehand you and the snake will be happier and healthier.
    - Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    All good advice...take some time to enjoy the ones you have and just acquired before adding more. We all know it's a passion and I'm sure we can all relate to wanting to keep adding to our collections, but we must be responsible and use common sense as well. Afterall, the first priority is the well being of our animals, it shouldn't be to satisfy our impulses. Just give it some serious consideration before making a decision. I'm sure you know what you are doing, but if you are purchasing for someone else, make sure they are completely involved in the decision process as well. Last thing anyone wants to see is another unwanted snake.
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Only way to know for sure is to go with a reputable breeder who you can trust. Many of the Hoggs out there aren't pure, but are sold as such - often because the person selling doesn't really know. There are some breeders out there that have some of the original pure hogs that were imported - or their descendants.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I know, I shouldn't rush into getting another snake. Yes, I think it is just impulse buying also.........Im just in a hurry to make my collection bigger. Whenever I get a new animal or I am planning on getting one I always research like crazy and make sure his/her new home is perfect. I guess I am just really interested in snakes now too. Maybe a lil too much I think I will just stick with what I have now and just let my girl friend take one of my BPs. I think I should focus on my tarantula collecting more and just work with the snakes I have. Thank you soo much everyone for your input if it wasnt for you guys I would prolly have a new snake really soon.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

FYI: Small shows coming up in Columbus and Savannah, GA

The quarantine period isn't even up yet for your burm. Let it settle in and make good and sure that it is very healthy. Problems with reptiles can hide for months. Greenman just lost his green tree python with no warning. So if you want a Hogg Island go for it they are great snakes but make sure you aren't getting to much on your plate.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast