Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

1 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Is it ok to use Peat moss with a Red tail boa? If not can someone suggest a better substrate.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Moss can hold in a lot of moisture (and, as a consequence, mold) which can cause tummy rot. I wouldn't suggest it, personally, although I don't have an RTB. Try checking out one of the substrate threads; I use EcoEarth coconut substrate on my Ball and Viper Boa, but I'm sure someone else with an RTB has listed their favorites.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-
    ....and lots and lots of feeder mousies.....

Thanks
    Any of the coconut substrates is better than peat because it's a renewable resource.
    If I remember right, this is a cheap source of coconut fiber blocks. You'll have to call them, as I don't see it listed in their online catalog anymore.
    http://www.greenchoice.com/lignocell_2.html
    --Cthulhu

0.0.1 BPs, Guido
    0.0.1 Parakeets, Rygel
    4 fishtanks.

Thanks
    I use a layer of cypress mulch underneath astroturf. It repels insects and resists mold which is nice when you need to moisten it occasionally but not have to worry about growing some funk. I just lift the turf, spray when needed and lay the turf back down. The layer of turf helps keep the belly off direct wet wood in case of overspraying. Burrowing under the turf hasn't been as issue as of yet, and the astro is permeable enough so that the wood beneath it still dries out.....just very slowly....I misted once for shed time about six days ago and humidity is still reading 70. Covering the wood with the turf can also help eliminate substrate ingestion if you feed in the cage. Easy to spot clean and lasts a long time.

Thanks
    I have heard about that eco earth stuff. I have heard good things! I have a little problem I have to cover a 55 gallon tank........So I have no clue on how much to buy I think I might just buy a bunch. I don't like astro turf because I think it is ugly. I know looks arent everything but hey I want my tank to look nice........thats just me tho.