Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

1 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snakes outside

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Snakes outside

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    By outside you mean in your backyard? In public places?

In your backyard? Yes but remember not everyone like snakes and all it takes is one nosy neighbor to end up with problems . So keep that in mind if you do.

Public places? Absolutely NOT, people should not be subjected to your snakes, snake keepers are already under attack pretty much everywhere, there is no need to throw oil on the fire.

I take pictures of my animals outdoor in the summer but I live on 4 acres and have total privacy otherwise I would not do it.
    Yeah. No one has yet to show that snakes get any thrill or pleasure from being subjected to new people and places - in fact, it's just the opposite. As keepers we strive to keep them as stress free and secure as possible. As far as I'm concerned, people who drape a snake around their shoulders and prance through the park or visit the local pet store are doing it for their benefit, not for the snake's.

What benefit do they get? attention, a reaction, attention and even more attention. They either get good attention or they get bad attention. The bad attention is then turned into good attention when they post on the forums just how backwards and stupid the general public is for not being as enlightened as them, and then we all nod wisely and agree. Our fingers poised over our keyboards ready for a witty reply.

Nope, no one appointed me as an ambassador from the reptile kingdom to the human kingdom- so my animals stay at home. When I am asked, via a presentation, to bring my animals in public, I do so in a controlled manner (a classroom) and only with specimens who handle the stress well.

Over the years I have had representatives of some species that are more amenable to a jaunt in the backyard than others, and some that get acclimated to an area of the yard. These are calm animals that do not bolt and do not stress easily. These animals are also very rare in collections and are the exception to the rule.

When there are pages and pages of threads on this forum alone that deal with ball pythons getting spooked off of feed just from changing substrate or coming down with ailments from being subjected to stress, why subject your animal to this?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

BrandiR (02-23-2014),Phantomtip (02-23-2014),Slim (02-23-2014)

Thanks

Re: Snakes outside

I would like to bring my girls out for some outdoor photos once things warm up. Other than that, I see no reason to take them out and about. I am very protective of my snakes, even taking Isabelle to the vet on Wednesday was a stressful endeavor that I don't want to attempt again in the immediate future, if I don't have to. (Granted, the temperature was a factor in that.) I trust no one, and I don't want the general public to know that I am carrying my girls with me, in the event I need to. My transport box is currently unmarked, and when I had izzy out, I was constantly watching my back for folks looking to snatch things. My biggest fear is getting my babies stolen if I have them out. Once they're out of my hands, there's no telling what someone could do with them, whether they realize they have something valuable and turn around to sell them, or freak out at first glimpse and kill them on the spot.

I trust no one in this world, especially with my most treasured possessions.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    If you enjoy letting your BP out for some fresh air, it's totally fun! They get to explore the place, and it's nice to give them a break from the monotony. I've taken mine outside a few times and he's always enjoyed it. He's never left unattended though, and I'm always a few feet away at most.

Some may argue that they can catch mites from being outside, but if you're keeping them indoors far more often than being outside, I don't see the harm in letting them explore a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12