Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,979

1 members and 1,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: shy spider

Thanks

shy spider

So I got a spider ball python (October) about 3 weeks ago.I bought him on craigslist from a socall breeder.i dont really know if he is.But when i saw the spider i fell in love with the spider pattern.Hes pretty active and eats well. Everytime I wana handle him he slithers away.So i try to holding him back and he turns around as if hes gonna strike at me so i add a lil pressure to hold him from striking.Im afraid im gonna hurt him,but i also don't want to get bit.im afraid of getting bit because if he has parasite, will i get them to?or some kind of disease?Has not been to Vet..So do u guys have any suggestion on how to tame him?

Thanks

Re: shy spider

Thanks
    bites are just as harmless as any other tiny wound. like other tiny wounds, they can sometimes get infected, but generally they dont and just heal rather quickly.

humans and reptiles are generally too distantly related, so its highly unlikely that any disease can do the jump from reptile to human, or from human to reptile.

there are different ways to attempt to get a young BP to be more tame, but often they also just grow out of it and get more relaxed with age.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

Panic (02-21-2014)

Thanks

good to to know ty!!

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

My bumble bee ball python kinda does the same thing sometimes. I will handle him and randomly he will get into strike position like he wants to bite but I've learned that it's just something he does. I blame it one the spider head wobble thing lol he's such a little weirdo. He will never actually strike at me but it just looks like it, he will continue to slither around after the little phase passes. Just continue to handle him and learn how he reacts to things. You'll be able to handle him just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

Panic (02-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisFitzy View Post
    My bumble bee ball python kinda does the same thing sometimes. I will handle him and randomly he will get into strike position like he wants to bite but I've learned that it's just something he does. I blame it one the spider head wobble thing lol he's such a little weirdo. He will never actually strike at me but it just looks like it, he will continue to slither around after the little phase passes. Just continue to handle him and learn how he reacts to things. You'll be able to handle him just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol,You know I think mine is not gonna strike. Its just the wobble too.I did not think about that.Because mine sure does have it.Ty!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Panic For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-22-2014)

Thanks
    My bumblebee has a bad wobble and is constantly getting into that strike position when he gets startled. Sometimes he even whacks himself in the head with his tail and then gets all strikey... you'll get to know your snake, but it sounds like it's more to do with the wobble and not that he's being aggressive and getting ready to strike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaplastina View Post
    My bumblebee has a bad wobble and is constantly getting into that strike position when he gets startled. Sometimes he even whacks himself in the head with his tail and then gets all strikey... you'll get to know your snake, but it sounds like it's more to do with the wobble and not that he's being aggressive and getting ready to strike.
    yea its def the wobble,i went ahead and handle the spider with out a care. if he bites he bites and he did not .he was very active,scared.Im just very happy we will be friends