Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,453

2 members and 2,451 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

we can talk to animals

So today i was thinking about how easy it was to talk to animals, I'm scary good with animals, and i realized something amazing, we can actually talk to animals. People always say they wish they could talk to animals but they are thinking of the magical communications that involves no effort on their part, just talk human and the animal automatically understands. This is something brought on by things like the newer Doctor Doolittle movies and The Wild Thornberries and we forget that animals can be easily talked to.
    The original Doctor Doolittle portrayed a more accurate and quite realistic theory of "talking to animals", this lead me to realize that the psychology of the movies changed in a fascinating way. The original DD required the human to learn the animals language, for him to make the effort, and for him to stoop to the animals "lowly" level. The fact that humans are superior to other animals, and the doctor accommodating the animals, psychologically differed from the future movies where the humans were born or magically gifted with the ability and not only did gaining the ability require no effort but neither did using the ability. Anyways, it's really cool to realize that people can actually easily communicate with animals if they are patient enough to observe and learn the animals behavior.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: we can talk to animals

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan View Post
    just talk human and the animal automatically understands
    Oooookay....
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    I talk to my cat using her native tongue- conversations can end up with her being cuddly or a game of chase. Conversations typically consist of us clicking back at each other and blinking back and forth as well as jumping around like an animal, and huffing too.

It's actually quite interesting how she behaves as a result. Some animals can be communicated with if you act out the body language accordingly and mimic the sounds they make to the best of your ability. You can interact with wildlife safely too if you go about doing it correctly. In fact, a lot of all this is body language.
    Just don't go so far as to shove your butt in your cat or dog's face every time you see them. That's just a little too weird.

Thanks

Re: we can talk to animals

my cats and I used to meow back and forth at each other, I do this with my grandparents' cats too.

one of the more interesting things I have observed is actually with my snakes, and I have a hypothesis on the reasoning as well. I frequently make kissy sounds at my snakes during handling, and each time I do, they immediately come up to investigate my face thoroughly. I think the vibrations my lips make when I do this catches their attention. I'm not sure just how sensitive their "hearing" is, but I really enjoy thinking that they're interested in the phenomenon and I love the snakey kisses I get in return.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Archimedes; 03-03-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)