Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

2 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    is there any reason one cannot plant directly in the substrate? i live in a fairly dry location and have enough trouble keeping the humidity up enough for my bp. i'm thinking i want to fill the bottom of my cresty's cage with natural potting soil and plant pothos directly in it. i'm thinking watering the plants will keep the surface moist and the humidity up. though ive heard people keep the plants in the pots. is this because the plant inhibits substrate cleaning? and if so what does normal substrate cleaning entail? a complete change out for new soil or...? and is the amount that i need to water the plant going to equal how wet i'm supposed to keep the substrate? i'm thinking definitely not soppy wet but damp is about right for both pothos and cresty.
    thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i've always kept my plants in pots and used something like repti-bark for substrate with my lizards. keeping the soil in the pots moist along with daily misting has kept humidity up high enough for my guys. it does also seem easier to clean that way. that's just my personal preference though.
    - Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can plant right in the soil, in fact you can go with the bioactive substrate idea and plant right in the soil with minimal maintenance. Check this out:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/PNphpBB2...ic-t-4031.html

That's what I plan to do. There's a guy on Kingsnake who is doing it as well. He even emailed the author of the book for more information. I'll try to find a link to his cage pic.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Yes, you can do it, as documented in the new Rhacodactylus book. You just have to stir the soil regularly so that it will function somewhat like a compost heap, and male sure the potting soil doesn't have any harmful additives. Better yet, if you can stand it (not for me), add a few bugs on purpose to the enclosure -- I think it's African millipedes that are recommended. Also, misting twice a day should give all the humidity that the plants and cresties need under normal conditions, so if you add a third misting (wake-up time, bedtime, and hoe from work or school time should be good), you should be set even in unusually dry conditions. I would suggest using an enclosure with solid sides for better humidity retention, though, rather than mesh.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Here's the link to his pic w/ the bioactive substrate and plants buried right in:

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=511952,512686
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I knew Tigergenesis would come through on this one! And posting at the same time I was, even.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    thats a pretty interesting idea. the millipedes though--not happening here. yick. it does look really nice though.
    - Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlededee
    thats a pretty interesting idea. the millipedes though--not happening here. yick. it does look really nice though.
    :lol:
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I'm with you -- not voluntarily bringing millipedes into my house. I did have a cricket hop through the front door when I opened it the other day, so I grabbed him and made him gecko food. I consider that a cricket suicide mission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast