Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

1 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

is this snake overfed or underfed?

From above photo, a viewer might say it's fat. This photo was taken 2 days after eating a small rat so it's not bulging due to food.

But i am confused because of the way it looks when viewed on other angles.

Here it is showing a ridge back whis i think is a sign of poor nourishment

And this showing a sinewy body

The looks are not the worst of my worry. The body is soft, like there is flab in between skin and muscle. I do not know if this is just loose skin from being too thin or if it's actual fat. I do not know much about ball pythons but to my understanding, reptile fat is internal not like us.

I hope you can tell from my photos if i should decrease or increase feeding. Thanks

Thanks
    It definately isnt too skinny. What is he currently eating and how often?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Doesn't look too thin to me. Hard to tell in photos sometimes, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's leaning on the heavier side.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Looks fine to me!

That last photo looks like muscle.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Certainly not an underfed BP.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Looks about right to me...not too skinny and not too fat...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    skinny neck, fat body

the proportions seem a bit weird, but maybe it went through a phase of rapid weight gain and it just takes some time to get evenly distributed.

it definitively has enough food. if anything i think it had a bit too much and gained a lot of weight in a short time.

whats its weight in grams, and do you have a scale and weigh her regularly? and how old is it? what do you feed, how often, and do you have the weight of the food items in grams? these digital kitchen scales that you can set to zero with an empty bowl on them, and then weigh the snake in the bowl, work really good.

that data will help a lot. i guess it will get better over time if you now keep it at a constant weight. i dont want to come across as rude, but to put it bluntly: its a sausage with a thin neck. that being said, i dont think its a health concern. snakes can be thicker or thinner and be perfectly healthy, its just that this one manages to have a thin neck and a big body at the same time. i may be completely wrong and its something very different, but then, only more information about age and weight and how its weight developed would reveal it
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. current weight is 396 grams. It topped at 450 grams before unloading a big load of poop that it held for the first 3 months i had it. According to the breeder it was hatched in june 2013. I do not weight my rats, but the general size i feed it is the same as an adult mouse, given weekly.

By the way, i forgot to mention that the top view is fat and appears to be what is called a pinhead, but it's only like that because the wide part of the body flattens when relaxed. The body is soft, like there is empty space between the skin and ribs, feels totally diffetent from other balls that are packed solid with good muscle. It's also not as active as my other balls, it stays on one place if i set it down, i rarely see it cruising in the cage and it somewhat has a habit of half assing it's strike and coils prey with it's neck only. The movement also seems weird because i only see it doing the belly crawl and never the smooth serpentine.motion of an active ball python. Nevet goes into a ball too.

Thanks

Re: is this snake overfed or underfed?

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    Thanks for your replies. current weight is 396 grams. It topped at 450 grams before unloading a big load of poop that it held for the first 3 months i had it. According to the breeder it was hatched in june 2013. I do not weight my rats, but the general size i feed it is the same as an adult mouse, given weekly.

By the way, i forgot to mention that the top view is fat and appears to be what is called a pinhead, but it's only like that because the wide part of the body flattens when relaxed. The body is soft, like there is empty space between the skin and ribs, feels totally diffetent from other balls that are packed solid with good muscle. It's also not as active as my other balls, it stays on one place if i set it down, i rarely see it cruising in the cage and it somewhat has a habit of half assing it's strike and coils prey with it's neck only. The movement also seems weird because i only see it doing the belly crawl and never the smooth serpentine.motion of an active ball python. Nevet goes into a ball too.
    now it sounds difficult and complicated and i hope the real experts chime in i made too many assumptions (sorry for that), and now you say its behavior also shows oddities, and all i can say is that its weird. we need some experts here.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    the snake looks fine .. i have some that just coil with there neck and its when i feed them a small meal .. if ur feeding it something as big as big mouse @ 400g u should up its prey size a bit more
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast