Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

2 members and 3,451 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Got me a new friend, need a little input

So around Christmas I "adopted" a ball python. A friend of mine told me a guy he worked with was giving one away because he was moving, and if he couldn't find a new home soon, he was going to turn it loose (I live in Southern Maryland, a sure death for this critter). I have a 6 year old son, and he was all for it like me! I picked "him" up (not sure of the sex, but they were pretty sure it was male) the Saturday before Christmas. He didn't have a name, so I left this decision up to my son, and Joe it was! I was told that Joe was about 2 years old, was shedding, and ate once a month (which I thought was odd). When I got him home, I took a closer look at him and it looked more like he had sunburn and was peeling. Joe was (and still is) in a 20L tank with a UTH and purple heat light on a timer, but the owner kept the timer...they didn't have a thermostat or thermometer though. So of course I started doing a little research on ball pythons and came across this site! SO VERY HELPFUL!!! I thought this tank was a little small, so I got a bigger one that is 36x18x17 off of CL. It came with a "day" light, a CHE, another UTH and a thermostat (zoo-med 500r). I also bought the acu-rite thermometer that is very popular. The glass tank Joe is in now is a pain to keep heat and humidity, so I imagined the larger one I got would be even harder. I've been reading and reading and reading some more... and learned about the pvc cages (animal plastics, Pro-line, Vision, ect) and I think I am going with the animal plastics t-8.

So here's where I need a little input...Joe is about 30 inches long, but I'm not sure of his weight. I am considering getting another ball python...yes I am hooked!! is the t-8 with the divider large enough for 2 adult ball pythons?

Also, I've been reading about better thermostats and will probably go with one of the Herpstats.

Oh, and Joe is eating once week now (live) like a champ, and has shed once more...not a complete shed though, but better then when I picked him up.

Thanks
    I can't help u with the tanks .. since Joe has had poor sheds next shed he has u need to pull it apart and check if his eye caps r coming off with his shed
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks
    I personally don't believe a pair of BPs would be housed comfortably in a divided T8, but I also don't own a T8, so someone with experience with them would have better input.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Re: Got me a new friend, need a little input

Yes the eye caps are coming off, that was one of my concerns

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ross870 For This Useful Post:

steve_r34 (02-03-2014)

Thanks

Re: Got me a new friend, need a little input

Welcome to the forum Ross. I'm glad you took in this poor ball python.

To answer your question, a divided T8 is definitely more than enough space for two snakes especially since Joe is still very small.

Here's a great thread on T8s:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165571
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 02-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Yes a t8 can definitely house two adult balls. The only time you might have an issue is with a HUGE breeder female then she might need the full space. While youre waiting for the t8 you shiuld look into buying some sphagnum moss and making a humid hide to help with humidity and getting the old shed off.
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles