Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

3 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shy guy?

Thanks
    Everything you are describing is completely "normal". S/he feels cool to touch because our skin is 90-95F. If you snake feels really warm, that's probably not a good thing...

I strongly suggest checking out the care guide on the main page. You will want to add some sort of belly heat with a thermostat to control it. Normally a UTH (under tank heater/heat mat) is recommended for glass enclosures, but you can also use a number of other heat sources. Heat bulbs are fine, so long as they are used to up the ambient temp (which sounds good to me, if it is indeed at about 80F when measured with a digital thermometer).
    Balls require a hot spot of around 90F - so about a 10F difference from the cool side to the warm side, with the UTH cover about 1/3 of the tank or slightly less.

As with what the others have said, balls can be finicky eaters and so many people say not to handle for about 3 consecutive meals, so they are feeding well before you start handling them (it can be a stressful time for them with all the new changes; they need time to adjust)!

Please check out that care sheet, and best of luck. Welcome to the addiciton!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Well he might feel cold because he is in a hide box with no heat under it. In there it might be cooler than the rest of the enclousure.

Thanks
    Sweet, thanks for all your help guys and gal'. I'll stop by the local shop tomorrow and pick up some extra supplies
    ~University of New Mexico~ GoLobos!
    ΠΚΑ

Thanks
    I don't want to jack the thread, although I don't want to make a new one.. So i guess ill ask here..

I also just got a New BP and trying to figure out how to help him relax a bit.. He calms down after 15-20 minutes of just sitting out of his cage, although when we take him out or even open his cage he seems to get really nervous unlike our other BP...who will nudge me with her face if i stop rubbing her head sometimes or will come greet me when i open her cage..
    Just need some advice to help him settle. Husbandry is fine, just would like him to get a bit more comfortable.

We just plan on doing what we did with our other BP and handle him often, not force him to do too much, let him be if we don't need him to be moved, etc.

Shifty

Thanks

Re: Shy guy?

Quote Originally Posted by shifty11 View Post
    i don't want to jack the thread, although i don't want to make a new one.. So i guess ill ask here..

I also just got a new bp and trying to figure out how to help him relax a bit.. He calms down after 15-20 minutes of just sitting out of his cage, although when we take him out or even open his cage he seems to get really nervous unlike our other bp...who will nudge me with her face if i stop rubbing her head sometimes or will come greet me when i open her cage..
    Just need some advice to help him settle. Husbandry is fine, just would like him to get a bit more comfortable.

We just plan on doing what we did with our other bp and handle him often, not force him to do too much, let him be if we don't need him to be moved, etc.

Shifty
    stop messing around with him!!!!!!!
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by threezero View Post
    stop messing around with him!!!!!!!

He hasn't been bother since we got him a few days ago. Giving him lots of time to settle into his new environment for a bit before we actually start handling him. But any other suggestions? lol

Shifty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SgtZabka View Post
    Hey all so it has been 4 days since I brought my little BP home and he hasn't left the hide at all, even at night...I know a hidden BP is a happy BP but when I took away the hide he was really curious and moved to every corner of the tank even soaked in his water bowl for a bit but as soon as I replaced the hide he zipped right back in there Also, when I did have him out, he let me hold him a few times! He felt kind of cold to the touch, tank is sitting about 80 degrees right now with 55% humidity, is this normal for a BP? Oh and one more thing, near his rear, his skin creased weird almost like fat folds, what is that about?
    I couldnt help but noticed you said hide. Do you have just the 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty11 View Post
    He hasn't been bother since we got him a few days ago. Giving him lots of time to settle into his new environment for a bit before we actually start handling him. But any other suggestions? lol

Shifty

don't touch him, don't look at him resist the urge at least until he has taken one meal. i know its hard but messing with him right now would do more damage than good. just make sure temperature is set up and set it and forget it
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SgtZabka View Post
    Hey all so it has been 4 days since I brought my little BP home and he hasn't left the hide at all, even at night...I know a hidden BP is a happy BP but when I took away the hide he was really curious and moved to every corner of the tank even soaked in his water bowl for a bit but as soon as I replaced the hide he zipped right back in there Also, when I did have him out, he let me hold him a few times! He felt kind of cold to the touch, tank is sitting about 80 degrees right now with 55% humidity, is this normal for a BP? Oh and one more thing, near his rear, his skin creased weird almost like fat folds, what is that about?
    Give him time to adjust and he'll be more comfy. Mine seems to be similar to yours. He'll just stay in his hide unless you take him out. Once he's out, he's all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!

Thanks
    Speak of the devil, my BP just came out and "lied" in his moss bed
    ~University of New Mexico~ GoLobos!
    ΠΚΑ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12