Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 4,001

2 members and 3,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New Setup.. Help?

Hey guys, after doing much research i decided to buy my first breeding pair of BP - Male desert Pinstrip and a female Spider. - More in it for the joy instead of the money. The male is about 3ft long weighing in at about 900g and female 4 ft at 2100g. I got them both 41qt sterilite tubs, i put 24 1/3inch holes on the top. 12 on each side. Im using paper towels as bedding. I have the back half with a heat pad under it and the water bowl towards the cool end. . no hide spots. Humidity wont go over 47% for some reason. and temp 73 on the cool side. and 90 on the hot side. They have been in the tubs for about 8 hours now. so incase i fked up this would be a good time to find out!

So a few questions.
    How can i raise Humidity? I am misting the sides a little bit. Not too much so they don't get fungus , also i have a humidifier running in the room.
    The temp in my room is 83F but yet the lowest temp in the tub is 73F.. Why is that?
    Is the hot spot and cold spot too far apart?
    Should the water be on the hot or cold side? People say its better for humidity is that true? and is it ok for them to be drinking hot water?
    Is there enough breathing holes?
    Is there anything you guys suggest i should do better?

Thank you!
    Sam

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Couple things right off the bat:
    1) What are you using to measure your temps with?
    2) What kind of heat source are you using, and what are you using to regulate the heat source?
    3) What is the ambient humidity of the room you have your tubs in?

A quick way to raise over all humidity in the tubs is to tape over some of the holes then keep checking and adjusting as required. You can also move the water bowl closer to the warm side (warm water won't cause them any trouble. If it's too warm for them to drink, then it's too warm in the tub). You can also try using a larger water bowl. No hides, huh? Are you aware that the plastic hides like the ones available from Reptile Basics will locally raise the humidity while they are occupied by the snake? Just sayin'.

As for the why you have a 73 degree cool side in a room with an 83 degree ambient temp, I'd have to say you have me by the short hairs on that one. Where are the tubs located in room? Where is the vent source for that room?

Pictures always help us solve problems.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

TheSnakeZone (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: New Setup.. Help?

Move the water source to the warm side. Or use a wider water dish. More surface area = greater evaporation rate.

You can also use coco husk or cypress mulch. Both substrates are great at retaining humidity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (02-04-2014),TheSnakeZone (02-04-2014)

Thanks

Re: New Setup.. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Couple things right off the bat:
    1) What are you using to measure your temps with? Its a temp gun, with laser pointer to give me exact temp. and i also have a temp and humidity reader that has ends on the inside of the box, and reader out side.
    2) What kind of heat source are you using, and what are you using to regulate the heat source? Heat pads, as ive noticed the temp is wayyy to high on them so im wrapping it with a towel, for now, but what do you suggest i do if thats not a good method?
    3) What is the ambient humidity of the room you have your tubs in? 30%. Low humidity here in montreal. i do have a humidifier i put in last night in the room. hopefully that adds a few %.

A quick way to raise over all humidity in the tubs is to tape over some of the aholes then keep checking anddjusting as required. You can also move the water bowl closer to the warm side (warm water won't cause them any trouble. If it's too warm for them to drink, then it's too warm in the tub). You can also try using a larger water bowl. No hides, huh? Are you aware that the plastic hides like the ones available from Reptile Basics will locally raise the humidity while they are occupied by the snake? Just sayin'.

but less than 24 holes is enough breathing holes, say i tape some up? also the reason i didnt put a hide box. is because on every video ive watched so far, they only have water in there. so i don't mind adding a hide box if that's what is necessary . i moved the bowl towards the heat pad, definitely helped with humidity, almost instantly it started rising.

As for the why you have a 73 degree cool side in a room with an 83 degree ambient temp, I'd have to say you have me by the short hairs on that one. Where are the tubs located in room? Where is the vent source for that room?

Well i havnt built a rack yet, so they are sitting on a table i bought for them. i have heat pads stuck to the table. a towel on top of heat pads, and theyre on top of that. closed windows. humidifier on. still the cold side is 73-74 and warm side 94-96 and room temp in bin is now 80-83

Pictures always help us solve problems.

I will post some pictures up later on today or tommorow.
    Much appreciated, its my first season and honestly i dont care if they breed or not anymore,. i just want to make sure they have a proper set up so i dont hurt them... these monkeys at pet shops just tell you to put the poor thing in a fish tank, put a heat lamp and heat pad... HORRIBLE idea... so i would like to get some proper info from here!

Thanks again!
    Sam
    Last edited by TheSnakeZone; 02-04-2014 at 08:05 PM.