Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,107

1 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Some Snake News out of Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by sorraia View Post
    So far I've only heard about it from the herp community. It did appear on the 11pm local news, but I only know this from seeing the previews as I watched some recorded programs the other night. I did not actually see the report, and haven't seen or heard any other reports about it on the tv, radio, or through social networking sites (except what I've seen presented by the herp community). None of my family, friends, or coworkers have mentioned it either. One friend in another state said she hadn't heard anything about it when I brought it up.
    Yeah, I find it bizarre. Google reports that there's more articles on this snake hoarding case (400<) than J. Biebers recent screw ups (~100) yet it's relatively unheard of.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 01-31-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...242593641.html

Here is a half way decent news report on it, Jason and the guys are doing an awesome job on damage control out here and it's good to see Dr. Greek working in on this too. On a lighter note from what the news is reporting he was still doing fine in his teaching job before he got arrested and it appears he was well liked by parents of his students so hopefully that can calm some of the anti-snake backlash from that end.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I honestly think more anti snake back lash would come from out of the state than in. There are people who don't like snakes, but in my experience far more people tend to be tolerant (including many who don't like them, don't care if others have them, just themselves don't want them).

But from some of the comments I saw on one article, he was still teaching and was well liked.

Oh nbc is the channel I saw the news report on. Well, I didn't see the actual news report, just the previews on the recorded program I was watching.
    Last edited by sorraia; 02-02-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Misha gave his(corrected ) opinion, you gave yours and I gave mine.
    No. Anybody who would equate Animal neglect with child molestation is woefully ignorant and I'm frankly appalled that anyone would make this association.
    I stand corrected then. Nobody is entitled to their opinion on this forum if YOU find it appalling. This will then make it OK for you to attack them on a personal level.
    It is my opinion that everyone here should be aware of this hypocrisy. But that is my opinion. Which you can now find appalling and attack me some more.

By the way, I find it appalling that anyone would NOT want to see justice done in this case. Although I would not attack someone for their opinion (no matter how outrageous it may be), I can bet I would be kicked off this forum for doing so.

I have said what I have to say on this subject.
    Please forgive me. Since I was being quoted and further attacked on a personal front, I feel I should respond – least, I be made out to be ‘ignorant’ or non-compassionate.

Sham, you make a good point:
    Had this been the molestation of a child, my reaction would be VERY different. To me, neglect of an animal and child molestation are on completely different levels.
    I respect your opinion that they are on two different ‘levels’, but I don’t attack you on a personal level because my opinion is different than yours.
    My reaction to both crimes IS the same. I find them both offensive and criminal. This was the point I was trying to make with MarkS who wrote:
    Well I’m NOT glad that their pressing charges
    I might add that MarkS felt it necessary to single out one individual and quote him with his response, instead of simply stating his opinion. It seems to be Marks M.O. to attack people on this forum when they have an opinion different than his.
    I will also point out that child molesters are charged, arrested, convicted, ‘treated’, and released back into society. The same will probably be true of this guy. So in this respect, the two situations are also quite similar. Granted, the difference may be that a child molester may serve time.
    Do I hold the value of a snakes life over that of another human being? No. Do I feel the same about the perpetrators of each crime? Yes. That is the way I feel and my opinion. Attacking me personally does not help to change that.

BrandiR:
    You said that it takes (in all caps) MONTHS AND MONTHS for this to happen. If you don't know what it takes to neglect a snake to death, you shouldn't have been so all-caps-adamant about it.
    This is what I believed at the time. I expressed it in all caps to emphasize the horror. I am also man enough to admit when I am wrong and if your read further, you would have seen that I admitted my IGNORANCE. Yet you felt it necessary to chastise me further. I can only surmise why.

Who are you to determine how one person's loss compares to that of others? I've seen people go bat crap crazy over the death of a dog while I've seen others shrug off the death of a family member.
    I am a logical, rational human being (most of the time) – trying to rationalize what has happened here - Like everyone else. That’s ‘who I am’.
    First, we must understand that the press is putting the idea out there that he did this because he lost his mother, father and grandmother within the last 5 years. I don’t buy this as an ‘excuse’ for doing what he did. Hence My comment and some rational behind it. Here is some additional rational: This has been going on for well over 6 months during which time, the man has had the capacity to go to work every day and function ‘normally’. (and I put ‘normal’ in quotes for a reason). Nobody was aware of what was going on except for a neighbor who smelled the stench next door. It’s not like the guy suffered a nervous breakdown and was huddled in a corner somewhere due to some tragedy. This, I could understand. He was cognizant of other responsibilities in his life. Why not his responsibilities to his wards? It has been further suggested by others outside the press, that this may have been the case of an ‘animal hoarder’. I will admit my ignorance on this subject and just say that the situation fits the profile as it was explained to me. I don’t except this as an excuse or reason not to prosecute. Do I think these people need help? Yes. Do I think they should be allowed to own another animal? No. These are my opinions. You (should) have a right to voice yours. It’s called freedom of speech.

Some people are stronger than others and can handle a lot more than most people can. Some people are emotionally fragile and what seems small to you is insurmountable to them.
    I DO understand this. I also will add that I have a great deal of compassion for these people as well as those who seem to handle it better than others. I also understand that not everybody copes with these tragedys the same way.
    When someone exhibits anti-social behavior, at what point do you stop excusing it? Does one crime trump another? Does one tragedy trump another? I submit that every person decides this for themselves for every situation they assess. This is exactly what is being discussed here. Some in a more mature manner than others.

You aren't required to choose a side here, man or snakes. You can have compassion for both.
    I agree 100%. As I have stated before; this guy needs help. This doesn’t change my opinion that he should be prosecuted, punished and never allowed to own another living animal. It is MY opinion that he has lost that privilege by what he has done.

Let’s see if we can have further discussion without the personal attacks and hostility.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, I didn't attack 'you' on a personal level, I don't even know 'you' on a personal level. I responded to what you said because I found your comments to be exceptionally ignorant and insensitive. And I still do.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-02-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Challenging a Mod's actions....GENIUS!!!

Also, I too find it interesting which news outlets are carrying the story. Our local paper ran a story on it (we're 450+ miles away) but Yahoo Homepage never discussed it (that I could see)
    Last edited by Mephibosheth1; 02-02-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Andy, I think you mean well, but are ... uninformed in regards to how devastating the death of someone held dear can be. It is entirely possible that he simply compartmentalized his life. He COULD handle school and work, there were no reminders of his loss there, he had structure, duties, responsibilities that were rote, routine and he could count on the aid and assistance in regards to his work from his fellow teachers.

Then he goes home. To the memories, the shattered dreams, the life he thought he would have for the rest of forever and the world stops. He is not longer the Teacher liked by all. Now he's the man who, to himself, has lost everything. And so depression sets in, sinks a deep foundation and builds a skyscraper of despair that he found impossible to climb out from under.

He didn't go OUT and do anything to anyone. He didn't go molest some child, and the comparison was idiotic, he didn't hurt anyone other than himself. Yes, the snakes suffered, but this was not someone bringing HARM to anyone else. He suffered and because of that suffering his animals suffered. Yup, he should be held accountable, but not as a hoarder. He broke. He broke down. The HE that HE is now is not the HE that HE was then and this HE, apparently, simply shut down.

Had he simple been some guy who bought a few hundred snakes and got in over his head, I could see the sense in being angry and volatile, but I don't think that is the case here.

Death hits people in odd ways. Some people reach the end of that imaginary rope, others never seem to. Compassion, in this instance, as of now, is warranted here. I'm not disrespecting your opinion Andy, but I do most fervently think yours is wrong. This is not a man who set out to abuse anything, but because of mental trauma, wound up doing just that. What do we do about this? Smite that broken man with laws meant for people who take the innocence of children? I don't think that's going to help anyone, not him or us.

My best friend for over 30 years died a few weeks ago. There were a couple of weeks there where I really didn't want to do much of anything. Had it been a member of my immediate family, or had I not(and I'm not bragging here, this is the plain and simple) been as tough/hard as I am, I could see myself travelling the same road as this guy with the snakes that died. My loss was small compared to his yet it hit me like a frickin tidal wave. I imagine the Earth pretty much opened a gaping maw and simply swallowed him whole.

Vigilance. We must be vigilant amongst ourselves, our fellow reptile keepers, as much as we can. Even then though, because reptile keeping can be such an insular occupation, there will be those, like now, who fall. Some fall because they are too stupid to walk unassisted, some fall because they can't carry on. One deserves our indignation, the other our help.

From what I know about this case, this guy needs help.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bcr229 (02-02-2014),bigt0006 (02-02-2014),Bluebonnet Herp (02-02-2014),BrandiR (02-02-2014),Mephibosheth1 (02-02-2014),Pyrate81 (02-02-2014),rabernet (02-03-2014),Shann (02-02-2014),Skiploder (02-02-2014),sorraia (02-02-2014),Stewart_Reptiles (02-11-2014),Thalasuchus (02-11-2014)

Thanks

NEWS: Teacher arrested after 350 dead pythons found at home

Hello guys,

I recently read/saw news about a teacher getting arrested for animal neglect charges. There were over 350 dead ball pythons in there. See it for yourself: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ested/5035109/

What do you guys think of the quote below?

"Such "morphs" had previously fetched $1,500 but now sell for about $200 because the market is oversaturated, Sondra Berg, an animal services supervisor, told the Register." - Michael Winter, USA TODAY8:45 p.m. EST January 29, 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

NEWS: Teacher arrested after 350 dead pythons found at home

Although the actual numbers aren't dead on, the quote is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by coldbloodaddict; 02-10-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks

Re: NEWS: Teacher arrested after 350 dead pythons found at home

I care less about the quote than the fact that all those snakes died from neglect. It hurts my heart to think of their suffering.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sakura_noir For This Useful Post:

KryptBaby (02-10-2014)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast