Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,246

4 members and 1,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is already a lengthy thread related to this here.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ern-California

I'll be moving this thread to the appropriate forum.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Re: NEWS: Teacher arrested after 350 dead pythons found at home

Extremely upsetting!! What ever sentence this guy gets it is not enough!

Joe Tully

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    A constant reminder that any of us with animals need to be ready to acknowledge when we are in over our heads, or when circumstances change we must be prepared to cut back. I'm sad for the animals, but I'm sad for the man too. This was not something that he planned on happening; none of us do...
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks

Re: Some Snake News out of Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Andy, I think you mean well, but are ... uninformed in regards to how devastating the death of someone held dear can be. It is entirely possible that he simply compartmentalized his life. He COULD handle school and work, there were no reminders of his loss there, he had structure, duties, responsibilities that were rote, routine and he could count on the aid and assistance in regards to his work from his fellow teachers.

Then he goes home. To the memories, the shattered dreams, the life he thought he would have for the rest of forever and the world stops. He is not longer the Teacher liked by all. Now he's the man who, to himself, has lost everything. And so depression sets in, sinks a deep foundation and builds a skyscraper of despair that he found impossible to climb out from under.

He didn't go OUT and do anything to anyone. He didn't go molest some child, and the comparison was idiotic, he didn't hurt anyone other than himself. Yes, the snakes suffered, but this was not someone bringing HARM to anyone else. He suffered and because of that suffering his animals suffered. Yup, he should be held accountable, but not as a hoarder. He broke. He broke down. The HE that HE is now is not the HE that HE was then and this HE, apparently, simply shut down.

Had he simple been some guy who bought a few hundred snakes and got in over his head, I could see the sense in being angry and volatile, but I don't think that is the case here.

Death hits people in odd ways. Some people reach the end of that imaginary rope, others never seem to. Compassion, in this instance, as of now, is warranted here. I'm not disrespecting your opinion Andy, but I do most fervently think yours is wrong. This is not a man who set out to abuse anything, but because of mental trauma, wound up doing just that. What do we do about this? Smite that broken man with laws meant for people who take the innocence of children? I don't think that's going to help anyone, not him or us.

My best friend for over 30 years died a few weeks ago. There were a couple of weeks there where I really didn't want to do much of anything. Had it been a member of my immediate family, or had I not(and I'm not bragging here, this is the plain and simple) been as tough/hard as I am, I could see myself travelling the same road as this guy with the snakes that died. My loss was small compared to his yet it hit me like a frickin tidal wave. I imagine the Earth pretty much opened a gaping maw and simply swallowed him whole.

Vigilance. We must be vigilant amongst ourselves, our fellow reptile keepers, as much as we can. Even then though, because reptile keeping can be such an insular occupation, there will be those, like now, who fall. Some fall because they are too stupid to walk unassisted, some fall because they can't carry on. One deserves our indignation, the other our help.

From what I know about this case, this guy needs help.
    I was all ready (after reading this whole thread) to explain depression because nobody here seemed to understand, but this post is perfect. Thank you so much. It's been my experience with depression that it's easier to do the things you really need to (school, work, etc.), but once you get home and there's nobody to fire you for not cleaning your own house, you tend to let things go...for excessive periods of time. I've never let it effect how I care for my pets, but I can see how extreme mental trauma such as loss of a family member + hundreds of snakes can quickly become overwhelming. (Not that I'm necessarily defending animal neglect, just explaining how this could have happened.)

This story is extremely sad for the owner and the snakes, and anyone with any knowledge of mental illness can see that the death of his mother caused a mental break that triggered depression and a hoarding disorder. That said... I think he should still be charged (probably just a fine anyway) and prohibited from owning animals, at least until he gets help. Honestly, seeking help is such a difficult step for those with mental illnesses, this "intervention" of sorts may have been what he needed, and it will be less stress on his psyche to have the snakes gone. I hope he gets the help he needs, and I'm keeping track on the snakes' progress as well--they seem to be in very good hands.
    ~ Kate

Current reptiles
    0.1 pastel BP (Bean)
    Past reptiles
    1.0 Chinese water dragon (Jazz, RIP my baby...)
    Other pets
    2.0 dogs (Cooper, Barkley)
    2.1 cats (Cliff, Cyrus, Tootsie)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thalasuchus For This Useful Post:

MarkS (02-11-2014),Shann (02-11-2014),Slim (02-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Here is one of his public pictures: combo of two of his dinker genes that proved out. http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...istine-x-Enchi Last time I talked with him was in 2011 and he had a few dinker projects that looked promising from what I remember. Unfortunately, it was on my old email and that is long closed. He did take time to answer questions from a nobody me and gave me quite a bit of advise. Just bringing to light he was very involved with this hobby and something messed him up.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Update: It sounds like he got the help he needed.
    http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Cali...-Animal-Abuse/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I wish the best for him in his post reptile hobby life. Too bad so many animals had to suffer because of a break down though. Pre-break down he was an awesome guy.

182 animals in poor health, but alive.... I bet some of them are one of a kind animals. The hobbyist in me really wonders whats going on with them?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

sorraia (07-13-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I wish the best for him in his post reptile hobby life. Too bad so many animals had to suffer because of a break down though. Pre-break down he was an awesome guy.

182 animals in poor health, but alive.... I bet some of them are one of a kind animals. The hobbyist in me really wonders whats going on with them?
    Last I heard, a rescue group had them and was trying to place them in strict pet only homes.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (07-13-2014)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789