Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 451

1 members and 450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Taking on a ex-race horse

What an absolute beauty!!!!

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Chaoticpythons (01-24-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I haven't owned any, but I used to work at a stable that had several off the track horses. A couple thoroughbreds, and a few Arabians. Nice horses, but some were a little crazy. One tb mare was really nice and easy going. The other I didn't like very much. One tb Colt came in off the track before he even started racing (was still training and got injured if I remember correctly), he was quite a handful and always kept us on our toes. The Arabs were a grab bag of temperaments, but most were very high energy.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Beautiful mare! What are you planning on doing with her? Her pasterns look a little steep IMO, I would be cautious if you wanted to do serious jumping. I think you said something about putting her in western.

Angela

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Gorgeous animal!! I love the little socks (or are they stockings??) on her feet...

You're planning on getting a pre-purchase on her, right??
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    She's so pretty! I've never known anyone with an ex racer, so I have no idea what it will be like! Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks

After speaking with them more and getting more pics. I decided not to get her. I don't like the plasterns and there contract was a bit crazy.. I feel it would be more of a headache. So I purchased an 6 year old Morgan mare and put her first ride on her Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts

Aw nuts, sorry the OTTB didn't work out. Was this through CANTER or some other organization?

I have an OTTB, a 17.2 hh 1987 chestnut gelding I got back in 1992. He's still hanging around at a retirement farm, just with a touch of arthritis but he still acts like a three year old otherwise. He taught me a lot and I love him to death, but I'm old enough now that I don't bounce when I come off, so the next pony will be something a little slower and lower to the ground.

Thanks
    We took on a ex racehorse a few years ago. She was a grand daughter of Secretariat, too! Drop dead gorgeous! She need sooooo much work. We ended up long line lunging her everyday for hours. Very very sweet mare. Had never been in a herd but she learned real quick that our percheron mare was the boss. We pretty much copied exactly the same training schedule we were using on a yearling QH, with the exception of how long we did each exercise. We did find out the she loved to jump! Cribbed very badly on anything, which really sucked. Good part was she was only sucking air and not doing her teeth any damage. We did get her switched to a western treeless saddle but she was always happier with an English one. Ate, ate and ate! LOL...she needed so much more hay than our other kids! Our biggest problem was getting her calmed down if she ever got extremely excited!! She would than just need to run it off, which loose in the pasture or at the end of the line...and then she would remember what was going on and continue our lesson like nothing ever happened.
    Raine
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wapadi For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-26-2014)

Thanks

Had an OTTB, he was insane. Had an OTQH, he was a doll. Roll of the dice.

Best of luck with your morgan. Great horses.
    `*`

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Oh my gosh! I freaking love horses so much! I am going to be doing a working student program in April on a horse farm and I am super excited. I will be getting riding lessons in return for all the work I will do. I met some of the horses and they are just beautiful. There are two Arabian stallions that are not saddle broken yet. There is also a big and beautiful TB mare that is just a total sweetheart. Apart from that there is also two older horses that no one even pays attention to anymore, the owners basically just pay for the boarding and that is about it. I cannot wait to get started, even if I am just going to be mucking out stalls to begin with. I just love horses so much and this is the opportunity of a lifetime for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast