Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

2 members and 2,826 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Columbian Boa x Dumerils Boa

This is something that has interested me for around 4 years. Has this ever been done? Is it possible? Female Columbian x Male Dumerils? If you don't approve of hybrids & just want to go on about how this isn't right or whatever please don't even bother to reply.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I don't believe that cross is possible. They are both boas, but from completely different continents. Colombian boas (spelled with an o, not a u) are native to South America. Dumerils are native to the island of Madagascar. They would never meet in the wild. I suppose it may be possible - there are some pretty outrageous hybrids out there - but usually any successful cross is involving animals that are at least possibly capable of breeding in the wild.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Columbian Boa x Dumerils Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I don't believe that cross is possible. They are both boas, but from completely different continents. Colombian boas (spelled with an o, not a u) are native to South America. Dumerils are native to the island of Madagascar. They would never meet in the wild. I suppose it may be possible - there are some pretty outrageous hybrids out there - but usually any successful cross is involving animals that are at least possibly capable of breeding in the wild.
    That never stopped Carpet x Balls or even Balls x Womas.
    The only Boa constrictor hybrids I'm aware of were crossed to a yellow anaconda so it may jut be different for boas.

Thanks

Tigers & Lions would never meet or even have a chance of breeding in the wild, however they do in captivity. I just think a Colombian x a Dumerils, would look pretty crazy. It is something I am looking at getting into. At least to give it a shot. But I would want to start out with a hatchling/juvenline Dumerils as my boa is only a year old. So it could be a while. I wonder what else could be crossed to a Colombian..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    That never stopped Carpet x Balls or even Balls x Womas.
    The only Boa constrictor hybrids I'm aware of were crossed to a yellow anaconda so it may jut be different for boas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoticpythons View Post
    Tigers & Lions would never meet or even have a chance of breeding in the wild, however they do in captivity. I just think a Colombian x a Dumerils, would look pretty crazy. It is something I am looking at getting into. At least to give it a shot. But I would want to start out with a hatchling/juvenline Dumerils as my boa is only a year old. So it could be a while. I wonder what else could be crossed to a Colombian..
    It may be different with live-bearers. I also have never seen a boa cross other than with an anaconda (that is, cross between species - locality and sub-species crosses are done all the time).

If you are seriously thinking of doing this, keep a couple of things in mind. 1) Is there a market for that type of cross? Boas can have 30-40 babies in a litter. I realize that hybrid litters can be smaller, but let's say your female still has 20 young. Are you willing and capable of keeping them all until they sell - which may be a VERY long time?? 2) Many, if not most, people in the boa community are adamantly against crosses such as this (which is probably why it isn't done more often). Are you prepared to be shunned in the boa community? It'll be that much harder to sell the babies and now you have a less-than-stellar reputation to boot. Keep in mind, there is a REASON this isn't done more often.

I'm not being critical. I seriously am not. I am just pointing out things you should consider. If you've already thought of these things and are prepared to deal with them, more power to you.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

cecilbturtle (01-22-2014),CloudtheBoa (01-23-2014),Gio (01-22-2014),Shann (01-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Interesting question for sure. I think hybrids are not a great idea. But that is only my opinion. Both boas have different requirements. Dumeril boas remind me a lot of royal pythons. They are quite terrestrial, a lot more picky about food (in general) and quite shy in comparison to BC's.

The cross would not really put either boa in a better place.

That said, the patterns would be interesting as would the head shape and body shape.

I personally think BC's are so damn cool that anything to change them would be a step backward.

Not a bad question at all though.

I sometimes wonder if boas and pythons could cross what a BC and retic would produce.

Never stop thinking and wondering!!

But,,,, when it comes down to it, Mother Nature is,,, and will always be the ultimate breeder!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Evenstar (01-22-2014),Shann (01-22-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoticpythons View Post

Did you ever end up doing anything?