Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

1 members and 3,243 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Even if you had to go to work, please do not leave a rat in a snake enclosure unless it is already dead. I've seen a lot of nasty pictures where the rat chewed on the snake and it isn't funny at all. Please do not do this again and be responsible - your snakes are counting on you.

Thanks

Re: Stupid Rat messed up my Thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    if you search ebay you can find a new probe piece. I say ( not tried ) but any probe can be used it just a thermo coupler device that used. As for people trashing this brand over that brand. I have found that most failures are the result of the cheapest part in the unit be it a simple relay or a resistor( spelling ) with some of these over night companies flooding a market with parts it not shocking that some end up in our produces. and fail cause they were not up to the level they should be. I replaced several small parts on video cards and other pieces over the years due to the part being below standards. it hard to find parts sometimes but it doable..

and a real simple fix for the probe is if there enough unchewed section near the probe . it take some wire and go to radio shack and see if they can get you some and just make a new cord if you can use a soldering gun .just match the red wire to the red wire. but make sure to test it before use and to tape the wire joints up so they don't short out.
    If you're going that route, spend a few cents more and get some heat shrink to cover the solder joint. Only amateurs use tape.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I had a Hydrofarm and it died in only a few months which told me it was not quality enough to fix or rely on to keep my pets safe. I trashed it and my recommendations for them.

I've had some hydrofarm stats for well over 3 years now, no failures. Must've been a bum one you got, KMG.

Hydrofarm thermostats are cheaper to replace, than outright fix. It looks like you'd have to disassemble the whole darn thing anyways in order to attempt repairing the probe, if the whole wire has gone bad. Besides getting one from Amazon, I've found them locally in Arizona at my local hydroponics store.
    1.0 Hypo Sonoran 100% het Leopard Boa
    1.0 Spider Ringer 100% Het Pied
    1.0 Blue Eye Lucy (Lesser/Mojave)
    1.1 Brooks Kingsnake
    8.7 Cornsnakes
    1.1 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thejenius77 View Post
    The thermoMETER probe should be on the inside, over the UTH.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Would you mind showing a picture of what you're talking about so I can get a better idea? I want to make sure I got mine set up properly. Now I'm second-guessing myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Normal? Harlequin? Ball Python, "Rizzo"
    0.1 Albino Corn Snake, "Dilyn"
    0.1 Caramel Motley Corn Snake, "Calypso"
    0.1 Feline, "MissChief" (mischief)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lubana View Post
    Would you mind showing a picture of what you're talking about so I can get a better idea? I want to make sure I got mine set up properly. Now I'm second-guessing myself.

When using a UTH controlled by a thermostat many people recommend placing the thermostat's probe directly on the UTH outside of the cage for safety reasons. This however requires you you have a probed thermometer inside the cage to monitor the cage temperature so you know what to set your thermostat to.

Thermostat probe attached to the UTH on the outside of the cage:

Thermostat:

Thermometer inside the cage measuring temperature:

Thermometer:

Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    if you search ebay you can find a new probe piece. I say ( not tried ) but any probe can be used it just a thermo coupler device that used. As for people trashing this brand over that brand. I have found that most failures are the result of the cheapest part in the unit be it a simple relay or a resistor( spelling ) with some of these over night companies flooding a market with parts it not shocking that some end up in our produces. and fail cause they were not up to the level they should be. I replaced several small parts on video cards and other pieces over the years due to the part being below standards. it hard to find parts sometimes but it doable..

and a real simple fix for the probe is if there enough unchewed section near the probe . it take some wire and go to radio shack and see if they can get you some and just make a new cord if you can use a soldering gun .just match the red wire to the red wire. but make sure to test it before use and to tape the wire joints up so they don't short out.
    This post is wrong on so many levels.

First off you cannot just replace a probe with any one you find on the internet. You have to find one that is comparable with the thermostat. There are 2 main groups of probes, analog ones and digital ones. From there things break down into many subgroups. Then you have to find one that runs on the right voltage and and provides data in the proper range/format for the thermostat.

Second depending on what type of probe the thermostat uses simply getting new wire and soldering it back together may not work. If the probe is sending digital signals it should work, but with an analog probe it might cause incorrect readings. This is because on most analog probes data is interpreted in volts, amps, or (most likely) resistance. By changing the wire and adding soldered joints you are very likely going to change the electrical properties of the probe. (most likely adding resistance) this is bad because the thermostat will appear to be working but it might be reading incorrect temperatures from its probe.

Thermostats aren't something to mess around or cheap out on. In a case like this it's best to just replace the entire unit. More expensive thermostats like herpstats have replaceable probes and replacements can be ordered straight from the spyder robotics site. This is just one of the many reasons why they are worth the extra money.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-27-2014),KMG (01-27-2014)

Thanks
    Soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, and for good measure a bit of liquid electrical tape, and it will be waterproof. I have a feeling that finding the part, and paying for it and shipping will have you close to the cost of a new t-stat.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Just remember that soldering in line will change the resistance from the probe.
    That's going to be my only comment on this post because we all learn at different speeds and some evidently slower than others.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-27-2014),The Serpent Merchant (01-27-2014)

Thanks

I would splice it and have environmental shielding or sleeve around the splice over soldering it. Splices are cheap and make for the best repair option

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234