Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

0 members and 2,879 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Fueding RHPs

Thanks

Fueding RHPs

I recently purchased a PVC cage for my hatchlings along with a Reptile Basics RHP.

Has anyone had any issues with their radiant heat panels?

I spoke with a man from Pro Products in regards to their RHPs and he informed me Reptile Basics have a tendency to burn or catch fire due to a malfunction in their shut-off switch.

This has me worried and I would like to not cook my ball pythons.

Does anyone have experience with either company(Reptile Basics and Pro Products) RHP?

Thanks
    The only RHP I have first hand experience with is Helix. When I was looking at buying them I was going back and forth between Helix and Reptile Basics and was told the same thing by a customer in the store that walked by me. He said that his RBs one had melted his enclosure, so I went with Helix. However Pro Products has a great reputation.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 01-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Metalluscat (01-20-2014)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I have RHP's in my 6ft wooden enclosures. I did have some problems maintaining temps, but I believe it to be more due to the fact they're uninsulated and have glass doors. I installed CHE's on the opposite ends and covered up the doors and I didn't have anymore problems. I've never had them malfunction or burn when I touched them either. I think I got them from Reptile Basics, but I don't have any of my stuff with me right now because I'm still trying to get stuff out of my father's place and I've been using them for about half a year now.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Metalluscat (01-17-2014)

Thanks

Re: Fueding RHPs

I have a pro products PH-3 (65 watt) in my AP T-12 and it works great. I haven't had any issues so far.

I haven't heard anything about the Reptile Basics RHPs. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Metalluscat (01-17-2014)

Thanks

"I have a pro products PH-3 (65 watt) in my AP T-12 and it works great. I haven't had any issues so far."

That's the panel they suggested for me. How long have you had it? Where do you have the thermostat sensor located for it?
    Last edited by Metalluscat; 01-17-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metalluscat View Post
    That's the panel they suggested for me. How long have you had it? Where do you have the thermostat sensor located for it?
    I bought my Animal Plastc T-12 used a couple of months ago with the PH-3 installed in it already. The owner before me bought it a couple of years ago and had AP install it into the enclosure.

I don't have a thermostat sensor on it since it's provides my ambient temps for the whole enclosure. However, I have it on a dimmer and a seperate thermometer under the RHP so I know what the temps are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Metalluscat (01-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metalluscat View Post
    I recently purchased a PVC cage for my hatchlings along with a Reptile Basics RHP.

Has anyone had any issues with their radiant heat panels?

I spoke with a man from Pro Products in regards to their RHPs and he informed me Reptile Basics have a tendency to burn or catch fire due to a malfunction in their shut-off switch.

This has me worried and I would like to not cook my ball pythons.

Does anyone have experience with either company(Reptile Basics and Pro Products) RHP?

Well, there are people out there that claim that Pro Products heat panels catch fire. A couple of them frequent this forum.

Go figure.

I use both and have never had a problem.

Go figure.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-17-2014 at 08:04 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Metalluscat (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    these radiant heat panels come in different power ratings.

its safer when you only get the amount of watt you actually need, and not one that is rated much higher. with 160 watts, at full power you could probarbly cook some eggs. 40 watts is safer and may just be enough.

two reasons, why an actual fire is unlikely: it has a thermal safety fuse that will blow if temps get too hot. it will still get hot enough to burn your snake before the fuse blows, and the unit wont work unless you replace the fuse if its blown.

also you must use a thermostat with any of these anyway. the thermostat keeps it at the right temperature and will switch it on and off, a good thermostat will even run them proportionally. meaning a good thermostat can run a 40 watt heat panel at 10 watt or 15 watt or whatever is needed. heck, some thermostats are good enough that you could run a 1000+ watt oven or cooking plate at a precise low temperature.

so you have one safety, a good thermostat, to keep your snake safe, and a second independent line of defense, to keep plastic from melting and to prevent fire or smoke.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    I have four RB RHPs (two in each T8). *knock on wood* No problems so far.
    Alluring Constrictors