Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,742

0 members and 2,742 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi everybody,

My name is Mark and I am from Australia. I own an Australian Bredli Python. He is a fantastic animal and handles extremly well.

I have been having trouble obtaining frozen rats for him to eat. I have decided to breed my own. I have also decided to breed rats for other python owners who are having the same problem.

I am after some information on large scale breeding. Such as the cage system and watering system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks
    Hi Mark, and Welcome to the site!

I had my own rattery for a number of years, only I bred for show animals, not feeders, but the breeding is the same no matter what.

The cheapest way I found to do it was this:

Housing: You can use rubber maid or sterilites, whatever is available to you. Punch holes into the container along the sides, several rows if you must. You are trying to get good air flow. Also, to keep along the air flow and ventilation.. cut out a square in the top of the lid (good sized), and cover with fine wire, like chicken wire, drill holes along the big hole you cut to wire in the chicken wire you are going to be covering the hole with.

Feeding: Feed them rodent seed, you can buy it in bulk in feed and grain stores. Also, I fed mine table scraps, anything we would eat.. and fruits and veggies. Also, you can feed them dog food, but please dont feed them any dog food that has RED DYES in it, red dyes are bad for our snakes.

Breeding: Generally, on a large scale breeding, you will want 1 male to up to 4-6 females. You can leave your males with thier harem even while they are raising thier babies, he will not usually eat them... but they will eat babies that are not theirs. Females go into heat cycles every 4-7 days, pregnancy lasts 21-27 days. The babies are generally weaned at 5-6 weeks of age. Also, most rats are sexually mature at that age. Be very aware, females go into heat IMMEDIATELY after they deliver thier litters, so, a female will get pregnant right away, she will wean the babies earlier though because she knows she has a new litter on the way. Any female thats pregnant or nursing needs lot of protiens in thier diets, it fattens them up and thier babies through the milk, keeps them healthy too. You can at some point freeze your rodents for later use, I can direct you as to how to euthanize them humanely if you would like. Feel free to PM me on that. Also, you may want to separate any male babies from thier fathers soon after they are weaned, I have seen the males get brutal with thier own male babies after they are older. Also, be aware that packs of rats have a pecking order, females included. So, if you find that you have a rat or a few that are whiney or squeek alot more than others alot of times for no apparent reasons, thats what breeders refer to as NERD rats, they just have social issues, does not mean there is anything wrong with them, but rat packs will often "pick" or designate a few for guinee pigs, meaning, it is those who get to try new foods, and if they die from it, the pack wont eat the new food, it is all dependant on social order. It is normal.

Hope this helps ya.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    I dont know anything about breeding rats .. i just wanted to Welcome you to the site! Glad you could join us . Good luck with your endeavor. Is this a business you are hoping to start .. or something you are doing as a hobby?
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Thanks Jeanne and Carson.

I am hoping to eventually turn it into a business. There is a huge demand here, but the supply is unreliable at best.

Thanks Jeanne for the information, I appreciate it.

Mark

Thanks

Question Re: Breeding rats in bulk

Newbie here. We are keeping a number of cb right now so it was natural to start a rat colony. We should be over run by rats in 3 months and im interested how to kill them humanely for later use?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeding rats in bulk

Quote Originally Posted by markalston View Post
    Hi everybody,

My name is Mark and I am from Australia. I own an Australian Bredli Python. He is a fantastic animal and handles extremly well.

I have been having trouble obtaining frozen rats for him to eat. I have decided to breed my own. I have also decided to breed rats for other python owners who are having the same problem.

I am after some information on large scale breeding. Such as the cage system and watering system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
    I don't breed on a large scale (only for my needs) but as far as housing goes a rack system (commercial or homemade) with watering system will definitely be a must, this is a pic of the one I made

The DIY is available here on this forum http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=41913 bigger racks such as this one http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/in...ves/oct-03.asp can also be built.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyball View Post
    Newbie here. We are keeping a number of cb right now so it was natural to start a rat colony. We should be over run by rats in 3 months and im interested how to kill them humanely for later use?
    The humane way to euthanize feeders is by using a CO2 chambers, I don't have a big need so I only use a small paintball canister and 15 quarts tub (total cost $50)

if you need to euthenize a lot of feeders you will need to go bigger.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Haha, this thread is only from 2004.
    Mitch

Thanks

Thank you for the post. Painless, clean and quick.Exactly what I was after.. I,ve also been told to keep the rodents frozen for 30 days before use to kill off parasites and to use within six months.
    Does anyone know of a rodentpro type place that sells rats here in Canada

Thanks

can you keep your rat colony outside, they live in the wild around where i live, i see them all the time.

would they survive?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patthesnakeman View Post
    can you keep your rat colony outside, they live in the wild around where i live, i see them all the time.

would they survive?
    If you keep them outside they are exposed to the elements, insects that can pass illnesses to them, and exposure to wild rats, who could be carrying any number of diseases, including rabies.

Wild rats don't live nearly as long as those that are kept domestically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast