Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,070

1 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first BP

Thanks

My first BP

Hi, everyone. First of all, I wanted to thank all of you for providing me with all the information I could ever ask for in regards to ball python care, husbandry, color morphs, etc. etc. I've been reading all I could about ball pythons, and I think bp.net has honestly been my best source of information here on the internet.

This is my first BP ever. I devoted a whole week to creating a suitable habitat for one. I learned a lot along the way, made a lot of returns and exchanges at the local pet stores when I realized I didn't get the right equipment or hides or whatever. Perhaps my biggest blunder was purchasing a 40 gallon terrarium because it was a good price, when all I really needed for my juvenile python was a 20 gallon. But I made it work. I slipped a piece of sturdy cardboard in there to divide the terrarium down the middle and stuffed two hides, a water dish, a plant, and a log to make it cozy and as stress-free as possible. It seems to be working out wonderfully.

And now, without further ado, meet Cinna, my male Caramel ball python.

He is a Caramel, right? I ordered that specific morph online and he's what they sent me, but he doesn't quite look like a Caramel to me. More like a Pastel. But maybe he's still young, and I'm just too new to this whole ball python thing to identify all the different colors they come in.

I think he's pretty happy. He's a little shy, but last night he got to explore his new home and even climbed the plant - which was totally not meant for climbing, more for decoration. He's moving around the terrarium to cool off or get warm, too, which I think is a good sign that the temperatures are right.

But just in case, maybe you all could tell me if my setup is okay and the temps are correct. I've got both a UTH and a ceramic heat bulb. The temp on the basking side is between 87°-90°, and the temp on the cool side is 80°-83°. I've got a hide on top of the UTH, and a hide that's more snug on the cool side. Water dish is slightly positioned under the lamp to raise the humidity. I've been having trouble keeping it up in the %50-%60 range; misting the terrarium only works for ten minutes before it drops again. But I did just buy a humidifier, so I'm hoping that will make a difference in the room. I've got a digital thermometer to measure temperature and humidity levels, and I'm using aspen shavings, although I'm thinking I'm going to switch to a substance that holds the humidity in a little better. Like I said, Cinna looks pretty comfortable in his environment.

I forgot to say hello! I'm happy to be a member of this forum. I hope to learn a lot from you all.
    Last edited by Fincayra; 01-15-2014 at 07:55 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fincayra For This Useful Post:

h00blah (01-16-2014),JMinILM (01-19-2014),Kam (01-15-2014),ViperSRT3g (01-16-2014)

Thanks
    Welcome, and yes. He looks to be a great looking caramel albino.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oOo2-FrEsH-oOo For This Useful Post:

Kam (01-15-2014)

Thanks
    beautiful python!! i just got my first python not too long ago. I'll be sure to post up some pics of him and his home soon. Welcome to the forum! i've learned so much from this website, it's unreal.

Thanks
    Congratulations on your baby! Watch out these little balls of joy (pun intended lol) are addicting! Enjoy him
    0.1 Fiancé (amdarco)

Python Regius
    1.0 normal, 1.0 albino, 1.1 pastel, 1.1 mojave, 0.1 spider, 0.1 black pastel, 0.1 100% het albino, 0.1 mystic

Morelia Spilota
    1.0 Coastal(Mcdowelli)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    Caramels color up nicely as they grow and tend to be darker when young
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    Thank you! Glad to have confirmed that he is a Caramel. BP's are fun, indeed!

Here are a couple pictures of his home, by the way. The table is pretty cluttered in the picture. I've got the humidifier there, a spray bottle for misting, my little teapot for pouring him fresh water, and that green package under there are the feeding tongs I haven't opened yet. The rest is nothing important.

And here's a close-up. You can barely see him peeking out of his hide. I think he wanted to know why I was there.

Last edited by Fincayra; 01-15-2014 at 09:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fincayra For This Useful Post:

ViperSRT3g (01-16-2014)

Thanks
    Awesome, looks like you are doing wonderfully. Sounds like you've done your research!

I have a suggestions put something stable behide that cardboard, as he may get to exploring and find a weak spot, and end up on the other side! Not the end of the world, but he may get stuck ther until you find him
    You may also want to cover the right side of the glass with a peice of paper or something to help him feel secure as well, since you can see right through that log.

Best of luck with everything!
    Last edited by NH93; 01-15-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

cassidyy327 (01-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Re: My first BP

Awesome and congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Cinna was my squee for the night. He's so adorable.

Thanks

Re: My first BP

Thanks, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Awesome, looks like you are doing wonderfully. Sounds like you've done your research!

I have a suggestions put something stable behide that cardboard, as he may get to exploring and find a weak spot, and end up on the other side! Not the end of the world, but he may get stuck ther until you find him
    You may also want to cover the right side of the glass with a peice of paper or something to help him feel secure as well, since you can see right through that log.

Best of luck with everything!
    The cardboard is wedged in there really tightly, but I can definitely put some tape down. I did that before when I had a less stable piece of cardboard in there. Definitely will get some dark paper when I can get to the store. I've got two little fake tree decorations that I have up against the glass to obscure his view, just for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast