Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

3 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Draco, Albino Checkered Garter

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    Considering they're native here, I'd just match them to outdoor conditions. Shoot, I could even brumate them outside. And yeah, fish bait, mice, or fish, finding food for them is easy as cake.
    He's looking good! Say, could you get a size comparison pic, like next to something like a sharpie or some other sort of common household object. Man, those big red eyes remind me of Invader Zim...
    I would be careful brumating outside, it can get colder or warmer than what you need since you can't control the temps. Sure, wild snakes survive it in the wild but if it gets too cold some can die and it if gets warm enough to get them active again and they don't get back in their den they can get locked out in the cold. Garters normally brumate together as well, which keeps them slightly warmer than they would out in the open. I wouldn't keep it any colder than 40F. Of course, it would be easier to skip brumation altogether so you don't have to worry about slowly lowering/rising temps and watching temps. They don't have to brumate, and I'm not brumating Draco. As long as you keep their temps nice and warm and stable they won't go into brumation.

Quote Originally Posted by aaront126 View Post
    awesome snake, I may have to get a garter some day, but I've got my eyes set on something else first...
    They are fun. What are you getting?
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (01-23-2014)

Thanks
    He's so stinking cute! I love the little dot on top of his head. I cannot get over the cuteness, thanks for that, I needed something cheerful at the moment and he totally did the trick!
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Badgemash For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    I use to feed the ones I had with frogs. of where I lived tho I was able to collect the frogs from the snakes natural habitat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post

They are fun. What are you getting?
    A Sunglow Motley Corn caught my eye recently, should be set up by the end of the weekend, hope they still have one left since they only have 2 as of this morning!
    Aaron
    0.0.1 Bumblebee BP, Mort
    1.0 Sunglow Motley Corn, Osiris
    0.1 Cat, Abby

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aaront126 For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    I love garters! they are so alert and have amazing personalities. You have a very beautiful animal there!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaront126 View Post
    A Sunglow Motley Corn caught my eye recently, should be set up by the end of the weekend, hope they still have one left since they only have 2 as of this morning!
    How nice! I hope you get (got?) it.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    Considering they're native here, I'd just match them to outdoor conditions. Shoot, I could even brumate them outside. And yeah, fish bait, mice, or fish, finding food for them is easy as cake.
    He's looking good! Say, could you get a size comparison pic, like next to something like a sharpie or some other sort of common household object. Man, those big red eyes remind me of Invader Zim...
    I didn't get a photo of him next to anything, but I did get a video so maybe that will give you a better idea of his size. I'll get around to getting a photo like that at some point, but he's just so difficult to work with.

I was going to wait until next week to feed him again but he just digested those pinky legs so quickly...I gave him a nice-sized chunk this time, though, so hopefully this will last longer.

And a video of him. I tried the mouse parts unscented at first, but he didn't want them, so I ended up having to scent them again. I just dip them in some fish water.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    I almost got a pair (worked at petco and these guys were the only snakes we ever carried) but figured if I'm going to have a project other than balls I'd breed my Blue Beauty. I wish I could help with the feeding but ours were all good with pinky mice (they were pretty well grown when we got them in) and minnows. Never did get to try earth worms.
    0.1 Blue Beauty Snake

1.2 Normals
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Pastel Poss Het Ghost
    1.0 Banana Bumblebee

0.1 Common Snapping Turtle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe View Post
    I almost got a pair (worked at petco and these guys were the only snakes we ever carried) but figured if I'm going to have a project other than balls I'd breed my Blue Beauty. I wish I could help with the feeding but ours were all good with pinky mice (they were pretty well grown when we got them in) and minnows. Never did get to try earth worms.
    I got this guy from BHB, an e-friend of mine on another website got me interested in a couple of garters when she offered to give me one of her eastern babies (T. s. sirtalis). She wanted to wait until the weather warmed up and she got him on pinkies for me, though. Hopefully he'll be coming in in the next few months, weather permitting. She does updates on the snakes every once in awhile and mine is the biggest of the litter, chowing down mice and getting all chubby.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I got this guy from BHB, an e-friend of mine on another website got me interested in a couple of garters when she offered to give me one of her eastern babies (T. s. sirtalis). She wanted to wait until the weather warmed up and she got him on pinkies for me, though. Hopefully he'll be coming in in the next few months, weather permitting. She does updates on the snakes every once in awhile and mine is the biggest of the litter, chowing down mice and getting all chubby.
    How did you like working with BHB?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast