Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 963

2 members and 961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Draco, Albino Checkered Garter

Draco looks very good! I can't wait to produce that female granite to give him some company.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Definitely keep me on the list for next season, Albert! He'll be an old fart by then but he should still breed.

Not much to update on Draco, he hasn't gained any weight since his last weigh-in. He does seem to be hanging out in his humid hide again, so maybe a shed is coming up.

Here's a photo of him watching me from a safe place after I dug him up to check on him the day before. He was unusually enthusiastic about feeding time yesterday. He came right out of his humid hide and took the rat pink from the tongs!

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    Here he is in his humid hide, from July.

Last I weighed Draco he was 55 grams, and he's now on a diet because he's gotten quite chunky. lol He's going from eating a rat pink every 7 days to eating a pink every 10-12 days.

He also took an earthworm for the first time today! When he was a baby I couldn't get him to touch a worm, and he gobbled up two enthusiastically today. So I may mix worms into his diet, too.

So I hoped the tub would work to sorta contain him to show his chunkiness overhead (I mainly use it to hold the old dirt when switching bedding), but nope. As soon as the camera went over him, he launched up a couple feet in the air and plopped on the ground next to the tub. So I had to hold him still.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could be wrong, but I would think that worms would be more fattening than anything?

Very nice snake though.
    Last edited by Neal; 10-24-2016 at 07:19 AM.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I could be wrong, but I would think that worms would be more fattening than anything?

Very nice snake though.
    I'm not sure to be honest .. maybe somebody knows !?!

I read that they were better than any kind of man-made manufactured food for fish though - supposedly full of goodness .

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MichPlat View Post
    I'm not sure to be honest .. maybe somebody knows !?!

I read that they were better than any kind of man-made manufactured food for fish though - supposedly full of goodness .
    No idea how we got fish in the subject being it was never mentioned, and we're talking about a snake not for fish.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Well worms are considerably less nutritious than rats or mice, so I can't really imagine them being all that fattening. They're basically water and dirt with a little bit of nutrients. If they're fed by themselves they require additional supplements, and the garters I see on worm diets are considerably leaner and smaller than mine. Well Demigod may be small, he was raised worm-only the first year or so of his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    Well worms are considerably less nutritious than rats or mice, so I can't really imagine them being all that fattening. They're basically water and dirt with a little bit of nutrients. If they're fed by themselves they require additional supplements, and the garters I see on worm diets are considerably leaner and smaller than mine. Well Demigod may be small, he was raised worm-only the first year or so of his life.

Ah, yea like I said, I wasn't sure or not, was more or less just curious.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    As of last month, I finally got a measurement on Draco, and he came out at 25". So far, he seems to be benefitting from the 12-14 day schedule. Haven't really noticed any weight loss in Draco, but he's eating bigger meal sizes than Demigod is.

Unfortunately the photos don't expand enough to see them, but in the original photos you can see the little pores at the tips of his scales.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Draco, Albino Checkered Garter

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post

That's kinda interesting as years ago I saw a survival program and the guy suggested that THE best thing to scavenge and eat was earthworms as they were an amazing food ( protein) source ( fried as I recall ) .
    That was for humans though . He did say that most people wouldn't be able to even consider eating worms though .

I guess worms have no need for calcium so they possibly / probably won't have any in their system to pass on to snakes though ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-11-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213