Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,737

0 members and 2,737 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Draco, Albino Checkered Garter

Draco is fairly new to me, but although he's not my favorite (I think of Cloud as my favorite without any regrets) he is definitely the most entertaining. I have him in a 5 gallon tank right now, but I eventually plan on getting a 20 gallon long or bigger by the end of my first year with him. I do like these tanks I saw at Petsmart. The largest is 20 gallons, but it opens from the front and comes with a decorative foam back! The fact it opens from the front is definitely a major factor in wanting to get it. He is proving to be a problem eater in that he's very picky in what he eats. He only eats live fish, and has so far refused both earthworms and mice. I've tried scenting them, I've tried whole worms so they move around more, I've tried small pieces, and I've tried tilapia and salmon filet. I've tried teasing with the worms and just letting them crawl around, but if he touches the worm he just rubs his face against the floor or wall to wipe the slime off and crawls away. The mice freak him out, like he think they're going to eat him or something. He rattles his tail around, flattens his head, and flings himself through the air to get away from it. So far the only method that works is holding him in one hand and lifting the fish up to him in a spoon. He ignores it if I leave it in his water bowl, he ignores it if I drop the fish in front of him so it flops around, and he ignores it if I just hold him over the fish. He's as particular as my ball python, if not more. :/

He is incredibly silly, and highly interactive. If I come up to the tank and he sees me he comes right out of hiding up to the glass and looks me straight in the eye, following any movement I make. If people aren't around, he pretty much sticks to his hides (I poke my head out at him every once in awhile and I don't see him out whereas he's constantly on the move with company), but comes out to explore once people are there - he loves stalking and staring at people. All I have to do is look at him - I don't even need to move my head - and his head stiffens up with this comical head wobble of surprise. I can just imagine an exclamation point appearing above his head. lol He then either pulls his head into his hide or continues to stare.

I was warned that being albino he would be photo-phobic, but he's proven to be the exact opposite. Once the timer kicks on and the light comes on, he comes out to check what's going on. Hopefully I can get some awesome shots of him outside once winter ends, if I can trust him enough. As it is, he's unpredictable when I handle him and he will jump to the floor at the drop of a pin. With constant work, he's calming down considerably and is more likely to just stretch his body out into the air and stare at me than fling himself off of it. He's even calmed down enough that I managed to get an accurate measurement of him: he's a teeny 9 inches long.

His first meal with me. He held onto the meal he had before I got him, but he eventually passed it before I got worried enough to have him checked out (I don't want to imagine the scene that would happen if I tried to take this tiny snake to the vet's and he launched himself through the air like a tiny snake kamekaze):

He looks so tiny...and he's definitely grown a decent amount since he arrived. That's also the poo he was holding onto in the corner:

Grasping my knuckle with his head so that he he could crawl out from between my fingers and across the back of my hand:

Soon...

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (01-22-2014),Bluebonnet Herp (01-20-2014),Pyrate81 (01-21-2014)

Thanks
    Draco has officially started his first shed with me! I noticed he was slightly blue yesterday, and when I took him out today he was very obviously blue.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow. Checkered garter snakes are somewhat a favorite of mine, as I've caught them before in my flowerbed and while walking my dog. I think they're actually quite beautiful and very underrated. (I might need to get me one some day...)
    You have a nice albino! Very cool.

Thanks

Re: Draco, Albino Checkered Garter

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    Wow. Checkered garter snakes are somewhat a favorite of mine, as I've caught them before in my flowerbed and while walking my dog. I think they're actually quite beautiful and very underrated. (I might need to get me one some day...)
    You have a nice albino! Very cool.
    Definitely! He's the most interactive snake I've ever had, and he does well as a display snake because 9 times out of 10 when people are around, he's out and about being goofy. They also take up so little space and are so cheap to feed, it's easy to have a bunch. lol I'm actually expecting a second garter snake in the spring. An e-friend of mine is giving me one of her baby eastern garter snakes, a male named Demigod. He's already on mouse parts and taking them readily. Draco is proving to be difficult on that front, though.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    I like the though of only having to get night crawlers at the nearby walmart and occasionally dusting them to feed my snake. Doesn't get any easier than that haha. (Provided it wasn't a picky eater, as you would know.)
    I also think that their color and markings are quite attractive, and that dot they have on their heads is just one of the prettiest things I've seen on a snake.

Thanks

I like the though of only having to get night crawlers at the nearby walmart and occasionally dusting them to feed my snake. Doesn't get any easier than that haha. (Provided it wasn't a picky eater, as you would know.)
    I also think that their color and markings are quite attractive, and that dot they have on their heads is just one of the prettiest things I've seen on a snake.
    I like feeding fish or rodents, because you'd have to feed them every other day on worms. With fish and rodents you only have to feed once a week, or about every half a week for fish filet. I'm hoping to get Draco to at least take rodents, and hopefully both of the garters will take a variety of food.

The only slightly problematic thing for me is just how absolutely tiny they are as babies. Draco is only 9 inches long and weighs 4 grams, and he's active when handling. So, I need to have my eyes on him at all times, and it's more difficult to get photos of him because of that. Not saying photographing my ball python is easy, but he moves slower at least. lol I just feel like I'm gonna squish Draco every time I pick him up. XD
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (01-20-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I like feeding fish or rodents, because you'd have to feed them every other day on worms. With fish and rodents you only have to feed once a week, or about every half a week for fish filet. I'm hoping to get Draco to at least take rodents, and hopefully both of the garters will take a variety of food.

The only slightly problematic thing for me is just how absolutely tiny they are as babies. Draco is only 9 inches long and weighs 4 grams, and he's active when handling. So, I need to have my eyes on him at all times, and it's more difficult to get photos of him because of that. Not saying photographing my ball python is easy, but he moves slower at least. lol I just feel like I'm gonna squish Draco every time I pick him up. XD
    Commercial earthworms are only 2 minutes away at the nearby Walmart. I'd have no trouble; all I'd have to do is buy some with my groceries.
    They are quite small and squirmy but something about that I found enjoyable whenever I managed to catch them. They were awesome to release too because of the way they moved was so liquid and surreal, they looked like miniature flying serpents. Definitely a lot different than my sluggish ball pythons.
    You're really making me consider getting one now lol. Here I though I'd be a Boa-or-Python-Only-(Maybe-A-Lizard) guy.

Thanks

Commercial earthworms are only 2 minutes away at the nearby Walmart. I'd have no trouble; all I'd have to do is buy some with my groceries.
    They are quite small and squirmy but something about that I found enjoyable whenever I managed to catch them. They were awesome to release too because of the way they moved was so liquid and surreal, they looked like miniature flying serpents. Definitely a lot different than my sluggish ball pythons.
    You're really making me consider getting one now lol. Here I though I'd be a Boa-or-Python-Only-(Maybe-A-Lizard) guy.
    It will also depend on whether or not the snake will take the earthworms. I've been told checkereds readily take earthworms, but Draco turns his snout up at them. You'll just have to see. Whatever it will take it will be cheap because they stay small (2-3ft). Their humidity requirements are ridiculously low, so you don't really need a hygrometer and they do well in tanks because of their low temps and humidity. It's been around 10-13% humidity in the house and I haven't been spraying his tank or anything. I do have some EcoEarth in his tank for looks, but I've let it dry out and he still shed a perfect shed. To be safe, you can still spray them down anyway.

Draco shed yesterday, so here are some photos of his fresh paint job.

I also made use of the huge appetite snakes get after they shed, and offered some scented pinky mouse parts. He took two legs willingly, and even just about ripped the second piece out of the tweezers. He didn't want a third, though, and just fear-struck it. Not sure if this is a fluke or not, but I'll be getting him a guppy in the next few days and I'll try the other pinky with it. I'll get it today if I can because the weather channel is calling for snow later in the day.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (01-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    It will also depend on whether or not the snake will take the earthworms. I've been told checkereds readily take earthworms, but Draco turns his snout up at them. You'll just have to see. Whatever it will take it will be cheap because they stay small (2-3ft). Their humidity requirements are ridiculously low, so you don't really need a hygrometer and they do well in tanks because of their low temps and humidity. It's been around 10-13% humidity in the house and I haven't been spraying his tank or anything. I do have some EcoEarth in his tank for looks, but I've let it dry out and he still shed a perfect shed. To be safe, you can still spray them down anyway.
    Considering they're native here, I'd just match them to outdoor conditions. Shoot, I could even brumate them outside. And yeah, fish bait, mice, or fish, finding food for them is easy as cake.
    He's looking good! Say, could you get a size comparison pic, like next to something like a sharpie or some other sort of common household object. Man, those big red eyes remind me of Invader Zim...

Thanks
    awesome snake, I may have to get a garter some day, but I've got my eyes set on something else first...
    Aaron
    0.0.1 Bumblebee BP, Mort
    1.0 Sunglow Motley Corn, Osiris
    0.1 Cat, Abby

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast