Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

2 members and 2,980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    So Cloud tonight was very out of character. :/ I woke up from a bad dream where one of our friends had released all of my snakes and thought I heard a thunderstorm going on so I went to the snake room to check and make sure the heater was still going and everyone was ok.

When I flipped on the light, I saw everything was ok and then walked around the corner of Cloud's enclosure to look at him because he's usually out and about this time of night.

When I did I was greeted by a 6.5' boa in full-on defense mode and he struck the glass several times. He tried his hardest to get away from me, and eventually began hissing.

He clearly had been agitated for awhile because his bedding was flung to the side and his hides moved, and there was bedding in his water.

I thought maybe he was getting too hot from the heater, but my temp gun read his body at around 80-81F and nothing else in his enclosure was all that warm, either. All surfaces read anywhere from 79F to 83F.

Nobody else in the room was agitated, and I've entered the room similarly many times before over the year we've lived there and he's never once gotten defensive. He's literally never acted this way in his life.

I'll see how he's behaving when I get off of work and try to give him a once-over, but I'm kinda worried about him. I have no clue what could have set him off.

There was no thunderstorm and it wasn't even raining. A thunderstorm would have been my next guess but there wasn't one.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 12-05-2016 at 05:50 AM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Cloud, Colombian BCI

When my smaller male Boa, Butch did the same thing once, I was puzzled.
    He slammed the glass again the next day as I walked by which is just soooo out of character for this sweetheart. Even though he wasn't due for a feed, I fed him anyway. He didn't slam the glass anymore and hasn't acted that way again.

I reckon just like humans, these guys can have sudden cravings for food as well. My adult BP has gone into major feed mode before way before scheduled feedings.

Butch, Wild Type/Common BI
    Last edited by Reinz; 12-05-2016 at 07:11 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks

Re: Cloud, Colombian BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    When my smaller male Boa, Butch did the same thing once, I was puzzled.
    He slammed the glass again the next day as I walked by which is just soooo out of character for this sweetheart. Even though he wasn't due for a feed, I fed him anyway. He didn't slam the glass anymore and hasn't acted that way again.

I reckon just like humans, these guys can have sudden cravings for food as well. My adult BP has gone into major feed mode before way before scheduled feedings.

Butch, Wild Type/Common BI
    He wasn't just striking at me, he was scared. Whipping his tail around, trying his best to get away from me, and eventually hissing.

When I opened the door to give him fresh water, he only made mock strikes and didn't actually come after me. I figured I may as well give him fresh water after him soiling it, though.

I don't really think he's hungry, this appeared to be purely defensive. I've been feeding him a large rat every 3 weeks to get him ready to be fasted, because I'm out all of rabbits. His last meal was meant to be the last for the year, but that was only 17 days ago.

Again, I don't think he's hungry, but we'll see how he acts later today and the next few days.

We had YET ANOTHER fridge failure, so if he is indeed still hungry, I won't have any more food to give him until we get a new one. No use in ordering snake food until we have something to put it in.

Which this time it kinda sucks because only Layne Labs has small rats, and to get everyone's food from LL will be over $500 with shipping. I can get all but the small rats from Perfect Prey for $213 but then just the small rats is another $160 from LL. Which is ridiculous. Big Cheese is out of small rats and bigger so I could get MAYBE half of what I need there. My father has yet to begin fresh pairings with his rabbits so it will be another few months before I can get any rabbits.

My father is going to give me one of his chest freezers so maybe I'll be able to salvage my snake food for once next time this happens.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 12-05-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sorry, as soon as I read "struck the glass" I guess I overlooked the rest as my mind must have been thinking about my experience instead of focused on the rest of your words.

That is really strange about how Cloud reacted.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    As an update, he's been acting perfectly normal since that incident. I've even flipped on the light and walked in several times, he has yet to be startled. :/

He's also going into shed now, but that normally doesn't affect his behavior beyond making him hide away more. He doesn't get pissy or defensive.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to a random occurrence.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    So Cloud tonight was very out of character. :/ I woke up from a bad dream where one of our friends had released all of my snakes and thought I heard a thunderstorm going on so I went to the snake room to check and make sure the heater was still going and everyone was ok.

When I flipped on the light, I saw everything was ok and then walked around the corner of Cloud's enclosure to look at him because he's usually out and about this time of night.

When I did I was greeted by a 6.5' boa in full-on defense mode and he struck the glass several times. He tried his hardest to get away from me, and eventually began hissing.

He clearly had been agitated for awhile because his bedding was flung to the side and his hides moved, and there was bedding in his water.

I thought maybe he was getting too hot from the heater, but my temp gun read his body at around 80-81F and nothing else in his enclosure was all that warm, either. All surfaces read anywhere from 79F to 83F.

Nobody else in the room was agitated, and I've entered the room similarly many times before over the year we've lived there and he's never once gotten defensive. He's literally never acted this way in his life.

I'll see how he's behaving when I get off of work and try to give him a once-over, but I'm kinda worried about him. I have no clue what could have set him off.

There was no thunderstorm and it wasn't even raining. A thunderstorm would have been my next guess but there wasn't one.
    It is breeding season I believe and with him being a boy, maybe he wanted some lady love and not your love lol.

As for the substrate, welcome to my world. Rosey always shoves her aspen all over, pushes her water bowl and pushes aspen in it lol. Her, Dottie and now Luna are my terrors. They shove hides, aspen, water bowls, pull down temp wires and anything else they can destroy.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    It is breeding season I believe and with him being a boy, maybe he wanted some lady love and not your love lol.

As for the substrate, welcome to my world. Rosey always shoves her aspen all over, pushes her water bowl and pushes aspen in it lol. Her, Dottie and now Luna are my terrors. They shove hides, aspen, water bowls, pull down temp wires and anything else they can destroy.
    He's been in breeding mode since late July. Lol Been leaving sperm plugs everywhere. He recently stopped with the cold weather which is weird. I guess because I started using the heater, it heats a lot better than my old one.

Yes but that's highly unusual for him, he rarely messes up a single thing in his enclosure, and any spirited frenzies are short-lived (like a day or two).

He's been back to normal since that incident though so no clue what was up with him. I've even taken him out and handled him since with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Lol maybe he had a bad dream. My beardie has woken up in a frenzy before and shot out of her little blanket like a bullet, ran across the cage and stood there like in shock. I picked her up and wrapped her back up and held her for about 30 mins and she fell back asleep lol. Only ever happened once in 4 years.

Well at least he is back to normal so I guess just chalk it up as a snake being a snake lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks
    Here are photos of him in said shed cycle. He should be going blue any day now.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks

I haven’t posted Cloud in a looong time, mostly because I haven’t had a yard to get him out in. That has luckily just changed. He’s been rubbing a lot since I paired Dominika the first time, and when Nymeria ovulated, he really kicked up the gear and damage his nose. Went on antibiotics and luckily the rub has scarred over and with the recent shed, that also fell off. So I got some pics outside while I let him get some likely much needed UV, and fed him a rabbit the following day. Now that his fast and the move is over, time to get those rabbits in gear and fatten him up a bit again, and hopefully more sun will help color him up again too.

Phone pic:

DSLR pic:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (04-14-2023),Bogertophis (04-08-2023),dakski (04-08-2023),Homebody (04-08-2023),OatBoii (04-08-2023)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415