Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,007

1 members and 3,006 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Pure Hog Island Breeders

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    BCL are very much like BCI. They tend to not get quite as large as most mainland BCI and are quite similar to many of the insular localities. BCA are very much like this as well. Temperament is generally also the same.

BCO and BCC are both usually larger than BCI, even the mainland localities. They can sometimes reach nearly 10ft in length.

BCO (Argentines) can be somewhat temperamental. I have a 1.1 pair of these and while they are usually pretty good and I've never been bitten by either one, I do use a touch more caution when handling these guys as compared to my Colombians.

BCC (Surinam, Guyana, etc) can be more sensitive to husbandry errors. They are not generally a good choice for first-time boa owners (I know you're not a first-time owner - I'm just pointing that out for others' reference).
    There are probably not that many members here that can give you the "low-down" like Kali, Daybreaker (and sorry some names escape me) like you just got.

IF you want a bigger BCC with easier husbandry than the other True Red Tails, the Peruvian boas are quite hardy. The temperament can be anything from excellent to totally unmanageable according to Gus Rentfro.

Tom McCarthy sells some beautiful BCA's and is one heck of a nice guy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jtipton (01-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks Kali. That helps a lot. The main one that caught my eye was the BCL and if they are very similar to BCI that puts my mind at ease as far as owning one. While the BCC are beautiful animals perhaps I should wait awhile on them.
    Ball Pythons :
    0.1 Albino, 0.2 Mojave, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Pastel, 1.1 Mystic, 1.1 Mystic Potion, 1.1 Firefly, 0.1 Lemonblast

Tarantulas:
    Avicularia, B. smithi, B. emiia, 4 G. pulchra, 3 E. campestratus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    There are probably not that many members here that can give you the "low-down" like Kali, Daybreaker (and sorry some names escape me) like you just got.

IF you want a bigger BCC with easier husbandry than the other True Red Tails, the Peruvian boas are quite hardy. The temperament can be anything from excellent to totally unmanageable according to Gus Rentfro.

Tom McCarthy sells some beautiful BCA's and is one heck of a nice guy.
    Thanks Gio. I would agree that Kali seems to really know her stuff about boas. As far as the Peruvians, that is great to know they happen to be my favorite BCC and if I were to get one they would be my top pick. I haven't looked into the BCA much might be worth checking into though. This is why I love this site so many well informed people helping fellow herpers.
    Ball Pythons :
    0.1 Albino, 0.2 Mojave, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Pastel, 1.1 Mystic, 1.1 Mystic Potion, 1.1 Firefly, 0.1 Lemonblast

Tarantulas:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    ^ Can't go wrong with BCLs: I'm growing up my little female and the color changes over even short amounts of time are so intense - they're really impressive. It took a while to get her going on feeding (not sure if this is common with the young ones) but after that it was smooth sailing. There's some debate over the aneryism in these animals since they take on that look anyway, but I've noticed that "het anery" (or normal) BCLs (like my girl) usually get a little more yellow-y tones to them over the "anery" BCLs.
    Last edited by Daybreaker; 01-12-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-12-2014),jtipton (01-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    ^ Can't go wrong with BCLs: I'm growing up my little female and the color changes over even short amounts of time are so intense - they're really impressive. It took a while to get her going on feeding (not sure if this is common with the young ones) but after that it was smooth sailing. There's some debate over the aneryism in these animals since they take on that look anyway, but I've noticed that "het anery" (or normal) BCLs (like my girl) usually get a little more yellow-y tones to them over the "anery" BCLs.
    I had never paid much attention to BCL until Gio posted the link to Legacy Reptiles facebook page. The pics that they had posted of them on there made my jaw drop. The only ones I had ever seen were very young and kinda drab, nothing that ever caught my attention. I had no idea that they went through such an amazing color transformation.
    Ball Pythons :

Tarantulas:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jtipton For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Thanks Gio!!

Here is my wee baby BCA - he is a Sao Paulo and was purchased from Vin Russo. Vin has the MOST amazing BCA available and he is terrific to work with! My little guy is totally awesome. They have smoother-feeling skin than other boas and I love the charcoal and pink coloration. Even his eyes are pink!! I will be getting a female from Vin in late spring or so too.

And here are my 1.1 pair of baby BCL. You all are the first to see these! I don't have them in hand yet - they will be shipped once the weather warms up a bit here is snowy MI. The male is hypermelanistic het anery and the female is a hypermelanistic anery. They will be nearly solid black as adults. Hypermelanistic anery BCLs are often referred to as the locality-lover's IMG.

~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-13-2014)

Thanks
    Beautiful snakes Kali. I've been looking at the BCA and think that they will be a great addition to my boa group. BCL has become an obsession in the last couple of days though. I've been trying to find everything that I can on them. So now my biggest dilemma is which one to get first BCL or Hog Island. Both are a definite. I just can't decide.
    Ball Pythons :

Tarantulas:

Thanks
    This is where I got my BCL pair. Mike is really terrific and very professional. I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=444861
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

jtipton (01-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thank you Kali. I've been looking everywhere. Can you tell me if the colors ( light or dark ) of the babies determine the adult colors or do they generally color up about the same?
    Ball Pythons :

Tarantulas:

Thanks
    Because of the octogenic color change, it is impossible to tell just what the babies will do as adults. However, all of these babies will look very much like their parents. Both parents are hypermelanistic so the babies most likely are too. And if you pick one that is anery and not just het, it should be exceptionally dark as an adult.

These babies are VERY well bred - the parents are perfect examples of what you'll get.

Here is a little more info on them....

Mike said, "My adults were produced by Micah Denton. They are Rosen, Lincoln, Meltzer, Meade bloodline. The adult female is a hypermel anery and the male is a hypermel het anery. You wouldn't know that he was not a visual anery, as he is so black. The hypermel is not linked to the anery gene, as far as I know. Although all of the hypermel I've seen are either anery or het anery. Last I spoke to Micah, he was unsure of the hypermel genes inheritance. It's genetic for sure. Also this line tends to throw animals with different grades of pattern abbarencies. Some more extreme than others.

Longicauda take a bit longer to mature than bci. 4-5 years is about average. They aren't as heavy bodied as bci either. Also they go through a color change. Their baby colors are not their adult colors. It's really hard to predict what their final color will be but by the end of their first year, you have a better idea."
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

jtipton (01-13-2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast