Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 981

1 members and 980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool Stupid question about water dishes

Hey all:

First, I want to say thank you to everyone that viewed/answered my first post! Lots of help and my BP is doing great. Finally got her to eat, took her about two weeks to settle into my house but she housed down a f/t rat like it was her job, which I guess it is lol!

Now the issue is a water dish. I have a shallow plastic dish, its the top to a Chinese food to go container, rectangular. The issue is Wadjet will explore every night and I wake up to soaking wet news paper and a 99% humidity spike more often than not. Normally the dish alone is keeping the humidity at 30-40% and with a spray bottle I can keep it around 40-65% normally. I don't really care, I go in, change the paper and move on with my day but my GF is going to have to look after Wadjet for a few days and she is not going to dive into the tub to change paper...sigh...fear of snakes.

Obviously I need a heavier dish while I'm using the newspaper, what do you guys/gals use? I'm sure when I eventually buy some substrate I can make the water dish level with the substrate (like an in ground pool almost instead of looking like an above ground pool now). Also space is going to be an issue, with two hides it's tight in there, which is good for her but not for organizational value.

My set up:

28qt rubbermaid tub
    Two round hides (inverted plastic dog food dishes)
    water dish
    I won’t bother going into heating as that doesn't really apply here.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Stupid question about water dishes

Ceramic dog food bowls or the plastic anti spill dog bowls work really well.
    Stuff from the dollar store helps keep costs down if you don't want to go to a pet store. They have glassware that some people use as water dishes.

One issue about the pool idea. I've done it before and the snake always knocks a ton of substrate into the water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 01-10-2014 at 11:56 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Pkiefer131 (01-10-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I use something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Pureness-Heavy...van+ness+crock

You can get them nearly any pet supply place. Doesn't really matter what you use as long as it's a water bowl and can't be knocked over easily.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Pkiefer131 (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

You can find the heavy pet water bowls at Dollar Tree, WalMart, Target, etc.

While it's not in their online store so I can't post a link to it, for $3 Target sells a large plastic water/food bowl shaped like this stainless steel one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Platinum-P...Black/15723401). My husband took his dremel to the side and cut an access hole, so it doubles as a warm-side hide and water bowl for BP's up to about 1000 grams. The base is wider than the top, and none of mine have ever been dumped.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Pkiefer131 (01-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Ceramic dog food bowls or the plastic anti spill dog bowls work really well.
    Stuff from the dollar store helps keep costs down if you don't want to go to a pet store. They have glassware that some people use as water dishes.

One issue about the pool idea. I've done it before and the snake always knocks a ton of substrate into the water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    GOOD CALL! I didn't even think about the substrate getting knocked in. hurmmmmmm good thing Wadjet will be around for 20-30 years for me to figure this stuff out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    You can find the heavy pet water bowls at Dollar Tree, WalMart, Target, etc.

While it's not in their online store so I can't post a link to it, for $3 Target sells a large plastic water/food bowl shaped like this stainless steel one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Platinum-P...Black/15723401). My husband took his dremel to the side and cut an access hole, so it doubles as a warm-side hide and water bowl for BP's up to about 1000 grams. The base is wider than the top, and none of mine have ever been dumped.

Awesome, thanks! She is like 720ish or something like that, I forget lol. That's a smart idea for a hide/water combined!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    I use something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Pureness-Heavy...van+ness+crock

You can get them nearly any pet supply place. Doesn't really matter what you use as long as it's a water bowl and can't be knocked over easily.
    200xth - always coming through with ideas, thanks!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Walmart ceramic dog bowls. About $7 each. I buy them out every time im in there and they have them LoL

Thanks
    For snakes that aren't big girls, I use World Market ramekins. They're $.99 apiece when in-store (they only sell them in sets online) and when I buy them on sale, they're like $.75 each. They come in a ton of colors, are easy to clean, and if I stick them in the dishwasher it doesn't fill it up completely like bigger bowls do.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yep, ramekins are great

Thanks
    x3 on the ramekins. Although somehow one of my boys (big male pied) has figured out how to lift his warm end hide and move it over the ramekin so that his water dish is inside the hide, and then he waits inside his cool hide because he can't fit in the other one anymore with his bowl in there.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast