Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,110

0 members and 3,110 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

High End Ball python morph decline

When looking at the banana morph, I am amazed at the morph, but I'm more amazed at how the price keeps dropping month after month. This is great for consumers but bad for breeders. Is it smart to invest into the banana right now because I feel like many didn't expect this morph to drop to such a low price from the beginning of 2013 to the end of 2013?
    0.1 Normal ball python
    1.0 Blackhead pinstripe
    0.2 het pied
    1.0 pied
    0.1 mojave
    1. Rat terrier

Thanks
    This was the biggest drop in a while, as I understand. It's still well out of my price range personally, as I haven't even started producing and won't for three to four years, but I watched many a discussion on the drop and basically it was a case of breeders wanting to move their stock, so pricing them to move, and then other breeders having no choice but to follow if they wanted to get theirs out too. (This is the most prominent thread that comes to mind, it's a pretty well-done discussion.... http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...t=banana+price)
    Last edited by Archimedes; 01-07-2014 at 04:00 AM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    While I feel sorry for the breeders that have big money tied up in the banana/coral glow morph. It is great news for me. I'm just a hobby breeder and the banana is one of the morphs that I was afraid that I would only be able to enjoy through pics. But with the way that price is dropping on them hopefully I'll be able to get one soon. Though I think that I will wait until the price stabilizes before I invest in them.
    Ball Pythons :
    0.1 Albino, 0.2 Mojave, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Pastel, 1.1 Mystic, 1.1 Mystic Potion, 1.1 Firefly, 0.1 Lemonblast

Tarantulas:
    Avicularia, B. smithi, B. emiia, 4 G. pulchra, 3 E. campestratus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jtipton For This Useful Post:

Wapadi (01-07-2014)

Thanks
    I want one as a pet! Teehee sooo purttty
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Shih Tzu
    0.2 Russian Blue

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Re: High End Ball python morph decline

I'm just gonna leave this here...
    http://www.reptileradio.net/ball-pyt...ouldnt-do.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (01-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddumpling View Post
    When looking at the banana morph, I am amazed at the morph, but I'm more amazed at how the price keeps dropping month after month. This is great for consumers but bad for breeders. Is it smart to invest into the banana right now because I feel like many didn't expect this morph to drop to such a low price from the beginning of 2013 to the end of 2013?
    They are in a good price range right now where hobbyists will be able to start adding them to their collections. Prices will continue to drop but hopefully the drops slow down a bit now that they are at a decent range. The male maker thing was a big reason why the price dropped so much. I picked one up in September and he is awesome.

Thanks
    imagine you could take a 1-year old (or older) iphone and plug it into a 2-year-old (or older) iphone, wait 6 months, and you get 6 new iphones. imagine what that would do to the prices.

and thats how the situation is in BP morphs. prices for all codominants/dominants drop quickly, always. recessive prices drop a bit slower because it takes more time to produce them. both parents need to contribute in order to get a visual recessive, so you HAVE TO raise up females, which effectively increases the time between generations.

now the only thing that makes banana / coral glow special is the situation with the weird sex ratios, there seem to be a lot of males around that will predominantly produce males. this accelerates the production, also banana/CG can be combined with other genes in a faster way.

the good news is that all the good stuff, the new incredibly powerful genes, will soon become available to hobby breeders. not just banana / coral glow, but also GHI, bamboo, and scaleless head.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Agree. It's not really surprising when you think about it. I think this dropped faster than most because the high initial price incentivized many people to produce them thinking they would get rich and the high number of males.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait until they are $200 in a year. I will definitely get one as a pet.
    Family:
    0.1 Wife
    3.1 Kids

Balls:
    1.0 Lesser Pied, 1.0 VPI Snow, 1.0 Super Pastel Mojave, 1.1 Albino het VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 1.0 Albino Black Pastel, 2.2 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/Pied, 1.1 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/G-Stripe, 0.1 Pastel BEL(Mojave/Lesser), 0.1 Sterling Mojave, 0.2 Pied, 0.2 Kingpin het Pied, 0.1 Cinnamon Lesser het Pied, 0.2 Clown, 0.1 Citrus Pewter Calico, 0.1 Pastel Mystic, 0.1 Mystic, 0.2 Cinnapin, 0.1 VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 0.1 G-Stripe het Albino, 0.1 G-Stripe, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Lesser, 0.2 Spider ph Pied, 0.1 Spotnose ph Pied, 0.1 Spinner, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Normal

Other:
    1.0 Husky
    0.1 Husky/Lab