Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

1 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Stanislaus county, Central Ca needs expos/shows

Hey there! I am in central Ca, almost dead center in fact. And while there are several decent pet shops in my neighborhood there are NO reptile expos. Or at least they are not advertised anywhere. It is so bad that if you enter a Google search for "insert my hometown" reptile shows you get links and reviews for a local herpetologist who does "shows" for schoolchildren. Don't get me wrong he is great but that is the only results you get. I just refuse to believe that there would be no business at a local trade expo held every other month or so. Hell if I had any money I would put in the hours myself to organize and promote it.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    The closest local show that I know of is the one in Lodi and Tracy. And those are still new shows that are still growing. Then San Jose and Sacramento are larger and more established.

There are quite a few reptile keepers in Stanislaus though.
    Freedom Breeder in Turlock comes to mind as one of the 'big names'. But they don't generally sell animals at expos. They only tend to promote their racks.
    If there was a show that was at least the same size as San Jose's show, I would be willing to go to a Stanislaus one. Though I don't really see it getting huge like Sacs or the ones in SoCal.

Thanks

Re: Stanislaus county, Central Ca needs expos/shows

Rick with Reptile Realms put on his first show in Pleasanton last year, and is hoping to do at least 2 this year. There was recently a very small show in Tracy too, but with the turnout at Rick's first show, that's looking like it's going to be the best bet for shows in our general area. Even the San Jose super show was pretty lackluster this past year, and from what I understand, isn't going to improve with time under the management. The CVHS meetings have a few people that sell animals, but is obviously nowhere near the selection as an actual show or expo. I definitely agree though, this area does need more! There are always the big local guys at the shows around here, which is nice.

Thanks

Sacramento and Tracy are only local to Stanislaus if you consider the whole of central Ca one area. Sac is almost 2 hours away and Tracy is 1 or more depending on the traffic. With gas at $3.50 minimum? Nah. Stanislaus needs one. Specifically Modesto area. Maybe Turlock fairgrounds or the civic center.

Thanks

*addendum* I don't mean anything huge just something. Driving for several hours is an unpleasant proposition. For some of us it is also unfeasible.

Thanks

Then you should attend the CVHS meetings, they are in Manteca. They have limited vending at the meetings, and you could at least meet people to carpool with to shows that are in the surrounding areas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardenfiend138 View Post
    Then you should attend the CVHS meetings, they are in Manteca. They have limited vending at the meetings, and you could at least meet people to carpool with to shows that are in the surrounding areas.
    I did not know that. Thank you very much. Is that central valley herpetological society?