Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,297

1 members and 1,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    The temp in the room stays around 70 (no insulation and this is what we achieve with the space heater on max) but the heattape is coming in the same box with her so I don't know the temp.

I have a 18 gallon sterilite tote I could use if I could find a way to secure the lid without destroying the tote. Where would I put air holes, around the top? I was told that heat tape would melt through plastic totes, though. I may have $15 left after I go get our wedding license and can probably get the 32qt if so. I can destroy the one I purchase as needed. What about those underbed totes? Or are those too shallow and too hard to heat the entire thing?

I apologize, Salamander, I didn't mean to come off as rude. I'm looking for ambient heat, I have belly heat covered.

Thanks

Re: Christmas Boa Heat Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    The temp in the room stays around 70 (no insulation and this is what we achieve with the space heater on max) but the heattape is coming in the same box with her so I don't know the temp.

I have a 18 gallon sterilite tote I could use if I could find a way to secure the lid without destroying the tote. Where would I put air holes, around the top? I was told that heat tape would melt through plastic totes, though. I may have $15 left after I go get our wedding license and can probably get the 32qt if so. I can destroy the one I purchase as needed. What about those underbed totes? Or are those too shallow and too hard to heat the entire thing?

I apologize, Salamander, I didn't mean to come off as rude. I'm looking for ambient heat, I have belly heat covered.
    Do you have a temp controller for your flex watt? on the side put 3. I used a drill but went at a slow speed. the tape need air to breath. You just need to bump it up around 78-79 the room air
    1.0 Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 100% Anery Boa
    1.0 Abbyline Het Kahl
    1.0 Blood Het Alb Python

Thanks
    I have a hydrofarm. On the side put three what? Holes? And I can't bump up the air in the room, we don't have central and the only window unit is in our bedroom where we keep it 60-65 at night.
    1.0 Fiance "Jon"
    0.1 Baby on the way "Aliceander"
    0.1 Bengal Mix "Tinkerbell"
    0.1 Cattahoula/Lab Mix "Stormie"
    1.0 Dalmation Butterfly Double Tail Betta "Pongo"
    1.0 Tiger Nerite Snail "Sher Khan"
    1.0 Tiger Oscar "Poe"
    0.1 Red/White Ryukin "Ponyo"
    1.1 Colombian Red Tail Boas

Thanks

I have a hydrofarm. On the side put three what? Holes? And I can't bump up the air in the room, we don't have central and the only window unit is in our bedroom where we keep it 60-65 at night.

yes holes. Well you will have to sacrifice having your room warmer
    1.0 Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 100% Anery Boa
    1.0 Abbyline Het Kahl
    1.0 Blood Het Alb Python

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I would personally ditch the tank and put her in a sterilite tub and use the heat tape with that. It will hold in the heat much better than a glass tank. Get 32 qt tub and she'll be fine in that for a good 6 months before she outgrows it. You can get a 32 qt sterilite for less than $10 at Walmart or Meijer. PLUS, in a tub, you'll only need to have the t-stat set to 88-90 and it'll make the perfect hotspot and raise the ambient temps enough in the tub. Tubs hold heat much better than glass.

You don't need lights, heat bulbs, or anything of that sort - those will only suck whatever humidity you have right on out of whatever enclosure you use. Tanks frankly suck for most snakes. Get the Sterilite. You'll be very pleasantly surprised. If you want a display enclosure, you can set one up later when you're more financially able.

So. You can do what you need to do for your snake for about $10. Get the Sterilite, use the heat tape and the t-stat, and you're good to go for at least 6 months. If you don't have $10, borrow it. I'm not trying to sound mean or insensitive, but $10 is not a lot of money. Collect some pop cans and turn them in if necessary. Just trying to offer you some very reasonable suggestions. With the tub, you don't have to worry about the ambient heat - it'll take care of itself.

Best advice you'll get right now is the quote above.

Whoa,,, you have a lot going on right now. I am a bit concerned about the breeder not being available. Is your money already in hand there? I'm also skeptical you are actually getting a CA BCI with that 8 FT Dam and even a 5 Ft sire. I'm not saying impossible, but a bit odd for the CA boas to be that large. It sounds like you agree.

Usually a good breeder will contact you a day or 2 before they send you the animal to make sure you are all ready.

The post says "yesterday" on the top, so do you mean next week Tuesday? Or did it show up yesterday the 31st ?

I think your ambient room temp of 70 is pretty good especially this time of year and IF the heat tape they are sending works you'll be able to do just fine.

I have 1 glass tank and I agree with Kali, they pretty much suck unless you want to spend $$ to make them work which I did and it works, even still, I will eventually get our Royal into our boa's Pro-Line and get a bigger one for the boa.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

70-ish room temp is fine for a tub appropriately heated with flexwatt on the thermostat. The Hydrofarm is fine. If the flexwatt is set for 90, it will raise the ambient air in the tub enough to be comfortable for your snake - just place the tub away from drafts.

If the flexwatt is controlled with a t-stat, it will NOT melt the plastic. Rack systems are tubs on flexwatt controlled with a t-stat.

How many holes you punch into it depends on the humidity. Start with 3-4 on both the long sides and add more if needed.

18 gallons sounds big. We measure the tub sizes in quarts. You'd be best off buying a 32 QUART tub. You won't destroy the tub other then punching in the air holes. I don't like the underbed tubs - they are too flat and the lids are not secure in the middle. The lid will snap on securely enough for a baby boa on a 32 qt tub. There is a reason specific tubs are recommended over others and tubs in general over other methods.

I am a bit concerned about the breeder not being available. Is your money already in hand there? I'm also skeptical you are actually getting a CA BCI with that 8 FT Dam and even a 5 Ft sire. I'm not saying impossible, but a bit odd for the CA boas to be that large. It sounds like you agree.

Usually a good breeder will contact you a day or 2 before they send you the animal to make sure you are all ready
    I also agree 100% with Gio on this....
    Last edited by Evenstar; 01-01-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    The shipping date has changed to her being delivered tomorrow.. I don't know if it's a glitch or if she'll really be coming tomorrow but I'll be outside waiting come 9AM. Shipped animals usually come around 12 here but I like to be out there early just in case.

What's an appropriate size hole? The size of a nail? That's what I'll be heating up to punch the holes. How humid should it be in the tub? I was going to put her on paper towels, will being on damp paper towels hurt her? I'll definately get a 32 quart tub, I was just curious because of the additional space an underbed tub would provide.

I'm not really sure what she is. As I said, she was labeled as a CA, her parents were purchased from Kahl and supposed to be Nics but Nics don't get that big... The money is already in hand as far as I'm aware (I don't have the order recipets or anything seeing as I didn't order her). I'm starting to wonder if this is some kid breeding petshop boas in his bedroom.... The website is no longer up and everything about this has been so sketchy. I'll honestly be mildly surprised if she even arrives at this point.. I'm really not liking the whole situation. I just hope she's okay.
    1.0 Fiance "Jon"
    1.0 Tiger Oscar "Poe"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

What was the web site?

Thanks
    I'll ask Rocky(my friend). I had it written down but the cat seems to have found a better use for it somewhere else. I hate having a Bengal sometimes.
    1.0 Fiance "Jon"
    1.0 Tiger Oscar "Poe"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Bengals have been known to go after snakes!! And as you know, they can open just about anything. Make sure that tub is secure!!

Nail sized holes are fine. So long as the snake can't put it's nose through it. If the holes are smaller, you'd simply punch more.

I hope it all works out. If she does arrive safe and sound, please post pictures! And let us know either way what happens.....
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast