Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bedding rats

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    how would i rid of parasites when killing outside bred rats? if i used the dry ice methos of death would that work? letting the co2 kill mice would kill insects too right, if i left it on for 5 minutes? i would want to get rid of any insects before freezing. i am not really worried about other insects.. mainly ants..
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very brightly."

1.0 Ball Python "Roswell"
    1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

Thanks
    Just wondering why you would think pet store bred rats would have ants on them? Sorry, that was just kind of cute. Anyway, the main thing you need to worry about is internal parasites of the rodents. Rats/mice really aren't prone to fleas unless there is a huge infestation and the fleas have nowhere else to go. But even if they did have external parasites, none of those parasites are pathogenic to the snake. I have asked my teacher, who is a veterinarian, about internal parasites of the rodents infecting the snake eating them and he said it's highly unlikely since the parasites aren't in the right stage of development to infect anything. If you kill them, and then freeze them you won't have any parasite problems.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Banned
    Thanks
    ErR, are you catching rats from like outside?
    I personally wouldn't be feeding "wild" caught rats to my ball python.
    Also, why is this thread called "Bedding Rats"?! (Just curious)

Thanks
    haha i was wondering too, i thought it was about the kind of bedding he uses or somthing,haha guess not
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    Moved to the feeders forum for ya . There arent too many critters that can survive freezing. I think you'd be ok jsut freezing the rat.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    ohh sorry. i was going to ask about bedding, but then thought more about the parasites in the bedding. all the rats are store bought, but kept outside to avoid the stink in my apartment. we get ants real bad in san diego during the summers. it gets so dry outside so the ants come in looking for water and food. i figured outside rats would be a bit more prone to insects and such. i have a screen top on our old 55 gal, we moved roo to a 20 gal. the only thing i am worried about getting in would be ants... i sprayed a ring of ant spray around and on the bottom outside of the cage to prevent them from attempting to make my mice a meal. i figure if there are any parasites i want them all dead before i feed em to my snake.
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very brightly."

1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would worry more about getting ant spray on the rats, the ants themselves are harmless whereas a little bit of ant spray could get to the rats at a time, and since your bp will be eating a bunch of them over time he might get a buildup of ant poison in his system.

The ants can not hurt your snake unless they are contaminated with pesticide from elsewhere. If you want to keep out ants, just sprinkle a ring of baking soda around your rat cage.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    cool i will give the baking soda a try. i would never expose the rats themselves to the sprays. i do not want my snake eating sprays second hand. and i do not use any sprays of any sort near my snake. my g/f actualy says i treat our snakes like they were made of glass, but thats cool with me.

1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

Thanks
    My rats do not smell bad, and I have them indoors in my house. I clean their cages once a week, and in the mid of the week I change about half the bedding (seems like they mostly foul up one side of the tank, especially nesting females, who travel outside the nesting spot to defecate.)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Also, when keeping rats outside, they will get heatstroke, even if they are in the shade. They should be kept in temps around high 60's to mid 70s. I have 3 rats and 2 are kept together, but if cleaned out once a week they don't have any odor. Yeah Gin, ours go to the bathroom in a specific corner too. But all in all rats are very clean animals, spending the majority of their day cleaning themselves. So you might want to reconsider keeping them inside so they keep producing healthy babies for you.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast