Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,675

0 members and 2,675 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ok, Photographer Types... School Me!

I just picked up a new camera. I want to do some high dynamic range stuff, as well as some nature/wildlife photography. I may even get into more "artistic" stuff. Obviously I'll do some general snapshots as well.

The camera is a Nikon D3200. It comes with the stock 18-55mm lens. What type of lenses would you guys recommend next?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Ok, Photographer Types... School Me!

I would suggest taking pictures with the kit lens until you discover what kind of photography you enjoy most, and then you'll realize what kind of lens you need. If you find yourself outside shooting flowers and insects, you'll want a macro. If you're taking mostly mountain panoramas, then you'll be going in the opposite direction. Have fun with your new toy!
    My family:
    1.0 spouse
    1.0 child
    0.1 Normal BP "Millie"
    1.0 East African Sand Boa "Leto"

My blog:
    www.AllergicKid.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Libby For This Useful Post:

patientz3ro (12-27-2013)

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

I recommend not doing HDR!

(Har har, I'm just being cheeky. But I really do hate it. 99 times out of 100, it's way overdone and looks like crap. And I cruise many many photography forums. So if you insist, make sure it doesn't look like crap )

But yes, first learn your camera. A new lens won't do anything for you unless you know the ins and outs of how to use your camera body. The D3200 has a limitation that will effect your choice of lenses - it doesn't have it's own autofocus motor. This means you'll have to buy AF lenses ($$) if you plan on using AF.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (12-31-2013),patientz3ro (12-27-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I would suggest taking pictures with the kit lens until you discover what kind of photography you enjoy most, and then you'll realize what kind of lens you need. If you find yourself outside shooting flowers and insects, you'll want a macro. If you're taking mostly mountain panoramas, then you'll be going in the opposite direction. Have fun with your new toy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    I recommend not doing HDR!

(Har har, I'm just being cheeky. But I really do hate it. 99 times out of 100, it's way overdone and looks like crap. And I cruise many many photography forums. So if you insist, make sure it doesn't look like crap )

But yes, first learn your camera. A new lens won't do anything for you unless you know the ins and outs of how to use your camera body. The D3200 has a limitation that will effect your choice of lenses - it doesn't have it's own autofocus motor. This means you'll have to buy AF lenses ($$) if you plan on using AF.
    Thanks for the tips. I plan on shooting with the kit lens for quite a while. Looking at the lenses that are available, they can get a little crazy. I'm just trying to get an idea of what others find useful. I'm ok with not having a focus motor in the camera. Autofocus is nice, but I can still remember shooting without it. We had to manually advance the frame as well, but that's the way it was and we liked it!

As for the HDR, I agree that it can be pretty awful at times. When it's not completely over-done, it can really make a good photo a great one.

Anyone else got tips?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Sigma 18-35 f1.8 when you are ready for it will serve you quite well ;-) but at a cost as its just under 1k . . . but it is a sexy lens . . . www.ccwildphotography.wordpress.com for more
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Sigma 18-35 f1.8 when you are ready for it will serve you quite well ;-) but at a cost as its just under 1k . . . but it is a sexy lens . . . www.ccwildphotography.wordpress.com for more
    I'm really impressed with Sigma lenses. I picked up a 70-300mm zoom/macro for next to nothing. Internal motor, so AF works with both of my bodies. Great quality images from a consumer lens, and the macro is useable as well. Not sure I'm ready for a $1k lens yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    I'd suggest looking into maybe also a Nikkor Micro 60mm lens. Should serve you quite well for artsy / macro / herps.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Serpentine666 (11-03-2014)