Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,915

0 members and 2,915 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Venom 101

Thanks

Venom 101

I recently came across the PDF of an old website published by Allen Hunter. He was without a doubt one of the most acomplished Hot keepers that ever came out of Canada. When this website was up and running I read it more times then I can count, and was always excited when a new update had been added. It's full of great information, funny stories and is over all a great read for anyone who is even remotley interested in the topic of Hot snakes or captive care of them.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/chadm/venom101.pdf
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

Crotalids (12-18-2013),Jcash34 (07-06-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Venom 101

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    I recently came across the PDF of an old website published by Allen Hunter. He was without a doubt one of the most acomplished Hot keepers that ever came out of Canada. When this website was up and running I read it more times then I can count, and was always excited when a new update had been added. It's full of great information, funny stories and is over all a great read for anyone who is even remotley interested in the topic of Hot snakes or captive care of them.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/chadm/venom101.pdf
    Looks interesting, will have a read!

One thing, i don't understand why every one has a rod up their arse about calling venomous snakes, pets? I consider mine to be my pets. What are we supposed to say? They're our specimens?

The way i see it, they're in my house, under my care, they wouldn't be alive without me, therefore they are my pets. More importantly, who cares what you call them, as long as you're safe!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    Looks interesting, will have a read!

One thing, i don't understand why every one has a rod up their arse about calling venomous snakes, pets? I consider mine to be my pets. What are we supposed to say? They're our specimens?

The way i see it, they're in my house, under my care, they wouldn't be alive without me, therefore they are my pets. More importantly, who cares what you call them, as long as you're safe!
    Agreed. I think the basic train of thought is to differentiate between pets ie dogs, cats hamster what have you and hots to the lay person. At least my opinion is that it's good to help people understand that these are potentially dangerous and not to be taken lightly. You can keep horses or pigs in your care. That doesn't mean they are pets.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks
    Actually I would classify horses and pigs as pets. I don't know too many people using their horses for work, at least around here, but lots of people have them. Some even keep pot-bellied pigs in their house. Now if you have horses for work or a business, raise pigs for food, or keep hots because your involved in producing antivenom, then your in what I would consider the grey area between an animal being a pet or not. Still a matter of personal perception though.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    Agreed. I think the basic train of thought is to differentiate between pets ie dogs, cats hamster what have you and hots to the lay person. At least my opinion is that it's good to help people understand that these are potentially dangerous and not to be taken lightly. You can keep horses or pigs in your care. That doesn't mean they are pets.
    I would like to respectfully submit, for your consideration, that all of the animals listed above are potentially more dangerous than venomous reptiles, with the possible exception of hamsters. I would also like to point out that my dad had a pet potbelly for quite a few years. She was also dressed up in a tiny wizard outfit from time to time, and served as the mascot for his BBQ team, the Wizards of Q. Perhaps "served" isn't the best choice of words, but her name WAS Barbie Q. Pig.

EDIT: just Googled Richard Here. Hamsters should also be considered potentially dangerous.
    Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by patientz3ro; 12-18-2013 at 03:09 PM.