Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

0 members and 2,936 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

considering an anaconda

Well actually I'm considering an anaconda, Burmese, or retic but I figured I would just post this in here. I do own several balls and boas but I'm fascinated by the big boys. The problem is I am single and don't have anyone else around to help handle them when it is needed. I have been thinking about it a lot lately in case laws make them unavailable in the near future I would like to get one/two before that. Is it unrealistic to get a snake that large without someone to help? That is my biggest concern, if anything should ever happen there is no way to do anything about it all by myself.

London, England (Not New England or any American place!!!)
    Thanks
    They say that for every 4 feet of snake there should be 1 person, these snakes your talking about get upwards of 16 feet which is 4 people, It would be a huge risk to try and look after it on there own as (although not so for most) some can be very unpredictable.
    -David

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: considering an anaconda

Quote Originally Posted by schoch79 View Post
    Well actually I'm considering an anaconda, Burmese, or retic but I figured I would just post this in here. I do own several balls and boas but I'm fascinated by the big boys. The problem is I am single and don't have anyone else around to help handle them when it is needed. I have been thinking about it a lot lately in case laws make them unavailable in the near future I would like to get one/two before that. Is it unrealistic to get a snake that large without someone to help? That is my biggest concern, if anything should ever happen there is no way to do anything about it all by myself.
    Did you just talk yourself into and then out of a big snake?

Probably not a good choice without a handling buddy.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: considering an anaconda

Quote Originally Posted by schoch79 View Post
    If you're dealing with anything over 6 foot, I'd strongly recommend another person. Then with all the laws coming into play you may not be able to get rid of him/her. Also they have different species of Anacondas and Retics as well. I couldn't tell you much about Burmese though, sorry.

What experience do you have in dealing with larger snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by dgring View Post
    They say that for every 4 feet of snake there should be 1 person, these snakes your talking about get upwards of 16 feet which is 4 people, It would be a huge risk to try and look after it on there own as (although not so for most) some can be very unpredictable.
    If you're going to say anything then please state the facts. In fact yellow anacondas don't get upwards of 16 feet. Yes a female green can. They also have dwarf and super dwarf retics which won't get that big. You would of done better by stating it's a huge risk as all of them can potentially get into double digit numbers. We shouldn't help pass on rumors or stuff that we don't know for sure to prevent things from getting blown out of proportion. I'm not biting your head off or anything my friend, just saying that unless you can attest to all the facts you should watch what you say.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Manny (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    My only real experience with big snakes is rtb's and even then it wasn't a "big" one. As for talking mysef in/out...I've been going back and forth on this for a while now, and for the shear length and mass of these snakes they could easily overtake a grown man if they wanted to. That is why the smart side of me says there is no way I am getting one. But the snake person in me says eh it cant be that bad...you'll be ok. That's why I'm asking here. So far the general opinion seems to be don't get one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Go for a dwarf then.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    I'd go with a 50%+ Super Dwarf (SD) Retic if I were you. They rarely get over 9-10ft for females and males generally stay below 7ft. The size seems cool now but when its a day to day thing in your collection it loses its awe factor. A 8ft snake is still pretty impressive to everyone else though if that is why your thinking of buying one.

Do you have any hands on experience with a larger constrictor? Even Boas can be pretty hefty to move around and can put you in a bad spot if you forget what they are capable of. I dont mean to shoot down your idea or say you cant keep a larger animal but I would really recommend you handle someone elses animals before deciding.

Also, your going to get mixed opinions on what size of snake can be handled safely by a single person. It mostly depends on the species. A 8ft retic is going to be much more slender and weigh a lot less then a 8ft burm. I would probably feel ok telling someone that they could handle a 8-9ft retic by themselves but not a burmese or other heavy bodied snake. I would highly recommend a partner and once my dwarf retic male hits 6ft I plan to make it a habit that any interaction with him requires another person in the room.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks
    Sound good to me. Maybe a dwarf retic is somewhere in my future. As for why I want one (to impress someone else or my self) its for myelf. I like the general look of them and I don't want to eventually be unable to ever get one if one day I decide I MUST have one. All in all I don't think I will get one because of what others here and myself have said. Thanks for your opinion.

Thanks
    Mostly I guess I just don't want to miss out.

Thanks
    I know this is from Dec. 2013, but I want to say, if you really want a decent sized snake, but want to be able to handle it by yourself, I suggest one of the following: Yellow anaconda, BCA, BCI, BCC, or any B.C., Brazilian Rainbow Boa, or if you REALLY want a retic, look into dwarf/super dwarf retics. I say you cannot handle a burm, green conda, or retic all on your own, and those would be pushing it, but possible!
    Ball Python
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 BCI Hog Island (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    1.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity and Diablo)
    0.1 Albino Common Northern Boa BCI (Pandora)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast