Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

2 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: considering an anaconda

Quote Originally Posted by hypnotixdmp View Post
    I know this is from Dec. 2013, but I want to say, if you really want a decent sized snake, but want to be able to handle it by yourself, I suggest one of the following: Yellow anaconda, BCA, BCI, BCC, or any B.C., Brazilian Rainbow Boa, or if you REALLY want a retic, look into dwarf/super dwarf retics. I say you cannot handle a burm, green conda, or retic all on your own, and those would be pushing it, but possible!
    I'd narrow that suggestion list down to males in the case of BCC and yellow anacondas. Depending on locality, I've seen monster females of both that could give even the most capable of handlers issues if things went awry. This seems especially true with the yellows though; I've seen old females parked right around 7 feet and then I've seen specimens blowing that out of the water by double at least.

Thanks

Was just considering some if they HAD to have a medium-large snake. Males would be a bit smaller, but you never really know until they start getting big. Its all about the individual just like any other animal!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Ball Python
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 BCI Hog Island (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    1.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity and Diablo)
    0.1 Albino Common Northern Boa BCI (Pandora)

Thanks
    Looks like you are getting some great advice here. Dwarf retics are definitely in vogue and available everywhere now. However, I have never heard the 4 foot rule, usually hear it as 6 foot per person. That being said I think it is variable based on who the person is. Im a 6'0 250 lb man and I feel fine handling snakes 8-9 feet, but would never let my younger cousins handle the same snake alone. Just be smart and have at least another person around to manage the animal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Looks like you are getting some great advice here. Dwarf retics are definitely in vogue and available everywhere now. However, I have never heard the 4 foot rule, usually hear it as 6 foot per person. That being said I think it is variable based on who the person is. Im a 6'0 250 lb man and I feel fine handling snakes 8-9 feet, but would never let my younger cousins handle the same snake alone. Just be smart and have at least another person around to manage the animal.
    A lot of it has to do with the species of snake, experience level of the keeper, positioning. Being a big, strong person is a bonus for general handling but if you put yourself in a dangerous situation and things turn south it's not going to help a great deal.

Thanks
    Agreed. When things get ugly multiple hands beat strength.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12