Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,061

4 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Media Wiki

Thanks

Media Wiki

I was wondering if anyone has ever proposed establishing a general BP care wiki on the site? You could have credible and approved members being the only ones allowed to edit it for the general consensus of reliable information. That way if anyone has issues with taking care of their BPs, they can be referred to wiki pages instead of other possibly older threads in the forums. In this way, any new information can be kept in the same location without having to dig through older posts. And on the plus side, it's easy to keep things organized in a wiki.

London, England (Not New England or any American place!!!)
    Thanks
    Seems like a good idea but i dont know how it would be done, maybe pm the admins
    -David

Thanks
    It's not too difficult. You can even tie it into the same member database as the forums so members can log in with their same credentials to make edits. Server load is rather minimal, since it's based on how many articles that exist, if there aren't ridiculous amounts of pages, it's negligible. Doesn't take up much HDD space, so disk quotas won't get hit if there are any.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Media Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT3g View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has ever proposed establishing a general BP care wiki on the site? You could have credible and approved members being the only ones allowed to edit it for the general consensus of reliable information. That way if anyone has issues with taking care of their BPs, they can be referred to wiki pages instead of other possibly older threads in the forums. In this way, any new information can be kept in the same location without having to dig through older posts. And on the plus side, it's easy to keep things organized in a wiki.
    Threads and discussions are the life-blood of a site like this. And for this site in particular, the questions of beginners and folks with "issues" are our bread-and-butter, so to speak. It's what we're here for.

When people ask questions in a thread, they want to TALK about their problem with people that care...they don't want to be pointed to a wiki page and told to read it. We do have some basic reference threads/articles that we point people to in order to help pass on certain basic knowledge, but as often as not, people would rather have a conversation about their particular concern, regardless of whether or not the answers can be found in some referenced caresheet.

I also wouldn't feel comfortable saying who can and can not edit the content of such a page, and for sure our database is not set up to make that determination for us. High post counts or years of membership do not equate in any way to "expert" knowledge of animal husbandry.

I think a wiki for ball python care would be a great idea for someone to put together and manage....but not in any sort of direct association with BP.net.
    -- Judy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-17-2013)