Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

0 members and 2,994 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Question about handling

First off i want to start off by saying i dont have any experience at all with venomous snakes and no i dont own any. I have a question, say my snake has scale rot or something simple that doesnt really require a vet, it being a ball python i would just grab it and soak him for a few days but how do you guys do any of these simple tasks with venomous snakes?
    Last edited by Gerardo; 12-16-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I'm not sure I would describe scale rot as "simple." Probably the best way to deal with such issues is providing a high quality of care that your snakes never have such an issue.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Lemmywinkzz (12-17-2013)

Thanks
    If you have a venomous snake that requires basic treatment, they are "safe" methods you can use. Tubes work great if what you want to treat is on the body of the snake for example. But if you want to treat the pointy end, like retained eye caps for example, pinning and secure grabbing may be necessary, which of course is more dangerous.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Najakeeper For This Useful Post:

Gerardo (12-17-2013),KMG (12-17-2013)

Thanks

Re: Question about handling

Quote Originally Posted by Najakeeper View Post
    If you have a venomous snake that requires basic treatment, they are "safe" methods you can use. Tubes work great if what you want to treat is on the body of the snake for example. But if you want to treat the pointy end, like retained eye caps for example, pinning and secure grabbing may be necessary, which of course is more dangerous.
    In the past I have used tubes that have been modified by adding a hole in the tube to remove eye caps with tweezers and even to treat a case of mouth rot in a crotalus viridis. I've also successfully used rubber tipped tongs to restrain baby aldaboralis for force feeding. In over 15 years of hot keeping I never had one occasion that I couldn't use tools to restrain a hot for whatever reason they needed it for. IMHO many people are far to quick to pin and head hots. In my experience most if not all medical procedures can be done in a safer manor if the keeper is creative and patient enough. There are possible procedures that I never ran across that can not be performed using tools instead of your hands to restrain a snake. But short of venom extraction I can't think of any.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

Gerardo (12-17-2013),KMG (12-17-2013),PitOnTheProwl (12-17-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question about handling

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    In the past I have used tubes that have been modified by adding a hole in the tube to remove eye caps with tweezers and even to treat a case of mouth rot in a crotalus viridis. I've also successfully used rubber tipped tongs to restrain baby aldaboralis for force feeding. In over 15 years of hot keeping I never had one occasion that I couldn't use tools to restrain a hot for whatever reason they needed it for. IMHO many people are far to quick to pin and head hots. In my experience most if not all medical procedures can be done in a safer manor if the keeper is creative and patient enough. There are possible procedures that I never ran across that can not be performed using tools instead of your hands to restrain a snake. But short of venom extraction I can't think of any.
    I agree with nearly all you said.

Only because I find it easier to force feed by actually pinning the snake. I did try using rubber forceps, with my male C.rhodostoma, but I felt like I was going to break his neck lol.