Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

1 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: WTF happened? Bad Shed...

Quote Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    If you have a stuck bit of shed, get a wet towel, wring it out, lay him on it, fold it over him, and let him slither his way out. Repeat until the desired results are achieved.

As soon as you're done with that, go get a thermostat and use it. If you're taking responsibility for this animal, you need to do what's best for the animal. It's irrelevant if you hate Tstats because it's not about you.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
    Don't tell me what to do. A moderator told me that thermostats are a touchy subject on this site and to be polite. Like I said don't tell me what to do and refer to whet our not I'm taking responsibility for my animal. I'm sorry there are allot ofpeople that probably need thermostats. I understand wattage.
    1.0 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post

OP, I am going to try to add a little further insight...if you plan on breeding then your best bet is to get T-stats, because no matter how healthy your specimens are, people love seeing gadgets and gizmos, and it might just mean the difference between a decent sale and a polite...or impolite..."no". And people are viscous and confused these days, "He does not use thermostats", can quickly become, "He doesn't use thermostats, I had an asthma attack in his home, he doesn't clean his pet hippo's cage, the microwave is broken, etc..." . My point, as a future breeder I do not want to do anything that hurts the reputation of my specimens, I am trash as far as I am concerned, but my specimens are pristine and I want others to see that so if that means an extra $200 for a toy...fine with me, hence why the racks I am gathering the materials for include T-stats and of course heat panels for my larger cages will be monitored as well. If you plan on being just a private collector then do what you will, really you'll do that anyway...it's we all do...good luck and have n.
    Totally agree. I do plan to try breeding. I was going to try breeding. I don't think anyone on here realizes that I spend an incredibly large about of time with my snake because I have leukemia and no job so...
    1.0 Normal

Thanks

[QUOTE=DooLittle;2191618]Keep in mind he is also the guy that suggested at home tail amputation... So, seems fitting.[/Q

Excuse me? Making up things that can make people look stupid is pathetic.
    1.0 Normal

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

[QUOTE=brettliff;2192198]
    Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    Keep in mind he is also the guy that suggested at home tail amputation... So, seems fitting.[/Q

Not made up. And I don't make things up, nor try to make people look stupid. But thanks anyhow. Nice that you accuse people of lying without knowing the truth.

Apparently you missed that horrible thread. Which was so bad it got deleted entirely.
    Last edited by DooLittle; 12-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Shann (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

WTF happened? Bad Shed...

What's going on around here?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

cassidyy327 (12-10-2013)

Thanks

Keep in mind he is also the guy that suggested at home tail amputation... So, seems fitting.[/Q

DooLittle is a very well respected member here. I'd follow her advice myself. The person you may be taking advice from that was mentioned, does not always provide the best advice. DooLittle has been keeping for a while and has lots of good advice.

Everyone here is just trying to help you and make sure your BP remains safe and happy. You're telling people not to tell you what to do, when you asked for advice. T stats are an essential item for reptiles. Every animal that needs heat needs a safeguard (the thermostat) from that heat. Dimmers only dim heat. They don't adjust for fluctuations in temps. Even aquarium heaters have build in thermostats so the fish don't get cooked. As someone that started with the cheap hydrofarm T stats (25 bucks and free shipping on amazon), I spent 400 for a herpstat four and never plan on going back. I like knowing that the T stat is making sure my temps are stable. It doesn't make much sense to me to play around with the dimmers and temperature all the time when you can just set a thermostat and not worry about it.
    Alluring Constrictors

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (12-11-2013),DooLittle (12-10-2013),Shann (12-10-2013),thejenius77 (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Since you decided to play the "don't tell me what to do" card, I'll explain it to you the same way I explain things to the last person who used that line with me... She's 4. Frankly, I don't care that you THINK you understand wattage. Unfortunately, your lack of knowledge doesn't just affect you. It affects the animal you're supposed to be responsible for. If you DID actually understand wattage, you would understand the difference between peak and RMS wattage. Which is the wattage of your heat source listed in? That's important because the claimed wattage is in peak watts, and you SHOULD know that means you're not getting the wattage you think you're getting.Secondly, many heat sources are designed to produce X number of degrees above ambient temperature. That's great, but when your ambient temp rises, so does the temp produced by your heat source. A thermostat is going to ensure an even, constant amount of heat, regardless of ambient temperatures, voltage spikes, or peak wattage. More importantly, it's going to reduce the chances that a malfunctioning heat source will cause thermal runaway, resulting in a burned animal.

See, despite your juvenile argument and attempt to justify poor husbandry, those of us who use thermostats aren't doing it because we need to compensate for not understanding wattage. We use them because it's the responsible way to do things. There's no need for you to feel sorry for those of us who want to do things correctly. We neither want, nor need your misplaced sympathy.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to patientz3ro For This Useful Post:

Xtina (12-10-2013)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Do you honestly think its a good idea to accuse a long term contributing member a liar? It's a really good way to look pathetic yourself.

A woman DID amputate her snakes tail. Thanks to the advice of a poster in this thread. While everyone told her to wait for a vet, he strolls in and suggests a DIY tail amputation since he has a text book and is all mighty. With a name like his, I can see why she thought maybe it was a good idea.

THE POOR SNAKES TAIL WAS NECROTIC! And she claimed the weather was too bad and they couldn't afford a vet.

So this woman chopped off the snakes tail, with likely improperly sanitized tools, no pain medication, and little knowledge.

I can't blame the mods for deleting the thread. God forbid someone was to see it and think it was a good idea.

Ya know, since common sense is apparently rare these days.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

Baileybones0413 (12-10-2013),DooLittle (12-10-2013),Shann (12-10-2013)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brettliff View Post
    I have leukemia and no job so...
    Has anyone realized that he said he has leukemia and no job?
    First I just want to say that I'm sorry about your illness and I hope that your doing okay. I know people are going to say "Well he's probably lying about being sick" and continue this argument, but I don't want to assume your lying so I want to send you my prayers.
    Secondly, I know that you guys are correcting him and trying to help him but when threads get to this point I think everyone should just step back and leave it alone. This is how threads get put into qt and people start getting infractions. I know you all feel very strongly about protecting knew users from bad advice, and making sure everyone is taking good care if their snakes. I just think that once you've said what you've needed to say and proved your point you need to just leave it there and not let it get to the point were you start to crack at each other or call each other names or whatever. Just step back and cool off. I love all of you guys very much and have learned so much from you all, which is why I hate seeing you all argue. Say what you need to say and then leave it at that.
    Lastly, if he has the time to monitor the temps of his animals then let him monitor them. It's what works best for him, and yelling at him clearly isn't going to change his ways so just leave him be. It's sad when people don't listen but what can you do! You can't force them to do anything. So why continue to argue with him? I don't know what happened with the whole DIY amputation thing maybe but the more and more I read about it the sicker and sicker I get. I think that whole topic should be dropped. It was a terrible thing and my life would've been better without ever knowing about it. Yes people should know it was an awful thing but continuing to talk about it is keeping it alive and that is something that just needs to die. Which is why it was deleted. Sorry for the long post. This is just how I feel and just my opinion. Hope you all have a great day and a wonderful season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

NH93 (12-11-2013),Xtina (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Sorry, but I'm not going to say nothing if somebody calls me a liar. I have no reason to make up lies. I have never understood why people do.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast