Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

2 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just a nice little video on thermostats and their importance. Hope this link works! This is a rep shop here in the UK showing why you need them with plastic enclosures. Imagine what this would have done to a poor animal

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Please regulate your heat source! It's not worth the risk!
    Last edited by Naom9Anne; 12-09-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks

To the OP:

Sorry, I have not read through every reply so I apologize if this has been said before, or more than once.

I suggest a shed box! Just some damp sphagnum moss inside a clean container with a hole cut out big enough for your BP to get in and out of comfortably, but a small enough container for her/him to feel secure (if it's tough plastic you may want to sand down the edges).

Also, I would suggest AGAINST physically helping to peel off any unshed skin, just in case it is not ready to come off (as you've stated, sometimes it feels as though it is "glued on") but rather soak in water and allow the snake to shed it off themselves.
    Or if it's been on awhile and is becoming more desperate of a situation, such as with a stuck tail, try having the snake slither through a damp cloth in your hands.

As for eye caps, I have heard to bring snakes to the vet for that one, as Q-tips and other methods can be damaging to the eyes.

Best of luck with future sheds!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Re: WTF happened? Bad Shed...

If you have a stuck bit of shed, get a wet towel, wring it out, lay him on it, fold it over him, and let him slither his way out. Repeat until the desired results are achieved.

As soon as you're done with that, go get a thermostat and use it. If you're taking responsibility for this animal, you need to do what's best for the animal. It's irrelevant if you hate Tstats because it's not about you.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brettliff View Post
    i hate thermostats. its a low wattage mat i'm really not worried about it getting to hot. i wish it got a little warmer honestly
    What wattage is your heat mat, i have a low wattage heat mat as well (24 watts) I use vision cages, the plastic is fairly thick, even with the cage elevated so there is 6 inches of air space underneath and the matt unregualed the inside of the cage got up to 120 degrees. That is definately hot enough to cause a burn.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    I have 7 watt mat's and use thermostats! I think they're necessary no matter the wattage personally.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I know plenty of good reasons to get a thermostat. I know of zero good reasons to not have one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-09-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    I have 7 watt mat's and use thermostats! I think they're necessary no matter the wattage personally.
    agreed, I tested a 7 watt heat mat on a glass tank and the temp got up over 100.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

OP, I am going to try to add a little further insight...if you plan on breeding then your best bet is to get T-stats, because no matter how healthy your specimens are, people love seeing gadgets and gizmos, and it might just mean the difference between a decent sale and a polite...or impolite..."no". And people are viscous and confused these days, "He does not use thermostats", can quickly become, "He doesn't use thermostats, I had an asthma attack in his home, he doesn't clean his pet hippo's cage, the microwave is broken, etc..." . My point, as a future breeder I do not want to do anything that hurts the reputation of my specimens, I am trash as far as I am concerned, but my specimens are pristine and I want others to see that so if that means an extra $200 for a toy...fine with me, hence why the racks I am gathering the materials for include T-stats and of course heat panels for my larger cages will be monitored as well. If you plan on being just a private collector then do what you will, really you'll do that anyway...it's what we all do...good luck and have fun.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Silly made up scenarios that don't make sense are not good reasons to not get a thermostat.

Attempting to mock and belittle people who see the value in a thermostat is even sillier.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Silly made up scenarios that don't make sense are not good reasons to not get a thermostat.

Attempting to mock and belittle people who see the value in a thermostat is even sillier.
    Keep in mind he is also the guy that suggested at home tail amputation... So, seems fitting.
    Last edited by DooLittle; 12-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast