Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

3 members and 2,802 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: WTF happened? Bad Shed...

Quote Originally Posted by brettliff View Post
    i hate thermostats. its a low wattage mat i'm really not worried about it getting to hot. i wish it got a little warmer honestly
    Remember,what's hot for you is way hotter to your snake..let's say u weigh 150lbs and he weighs 2 lbs..what feels like nothing to you may be just enough for him

i have a 30-4o gallon mat for one tank and a 10-20 gallon mat in the other,both on thermostats.
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-09-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

i hate thermostats. its a low wattage mat i'm really not worried about it getting to hot. i wish it got a little warmer honestly
    Imo, a thermostat is one of the most important pieces of equipment. How do you regulate your heat source with out one? Have you ever seen what an uncontrolled heat source can do??
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-09-2013),Xtina (12-09-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah my thermostat probe fell off my heat mat a few nights ago,my fault I messed with the tape at night,anyway I woke up in the morning with Kocur still sleeping in his hide but the mat was up to 127 degrees,I freaked and unplugged evrything and removed the mat right away..cleaned my tank that day anyway,checked Kocur he was all good and let the mat cool down and re set everything,I'm good to go again.
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-09-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    Imo, a thermostat is one of the most important pieces of equipment. How do you regulate your heat source with out one? Have you ever seen what an uncontrolled heat source can do??
    all of my heat sources are on dimmers and my thermostats tell me what the temp is. i have everything set (took several days of course) to be perfect for night and day, i control my ambient and basking spot with two bulbs, one low watt and one 75watt during the day, then a light timer turns off the 25 watt day bulb and leaves the 75 watt on for heat. and the mat stays at the same setting 24/7, i have a probe in the basking area directly above mat, and directly below lamps. cool side floor 77 hot side ambient 86 basking rock surface is at 91.7 at the moment. there is a pic of my setup in my photos.

seriously though guys i really appreciate all the comments. i'm always over thinking this stuff so i'm glad your here to help.
    1.0 Normal

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

sweeeeeeet, yeah i was gonna upgrade from the three dollar aspen at walmart after i ran out of it, and with the size of the craps he's taking lately it shouldnt take long.

cypress, got it.
    Yeah, Home Depot actually has some 2 cubic foot cypress packages for like $4...I think I am going to grab a few of those later in the week.

Look, I get where you are coming from, they irk me a bit too...9 years of keeping and working at a pet store without a T-stat in sight with no issues has me a bit more than doubtful; however, the few I am using now are "OK" once they're set and are good for energy efficiency, some can get pretty stupid even when you actually follow the directions but patience is a virtue. Again, the mechanism is the agreed upon best protection from burns and fires as far as the board is concerned. Anyway, my point is it's a touchy subject for most board members so just be cool and listen to everyone, again whatever you decide, best of luck.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Even if not for burns... fire is a big reason I want everything controlled.
    To each there own, but I like safety first.. once it's setup it's done and mine was simple, took me not even 5 mins to hook it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

200xth (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    Yeah, Home Depot actually has some 2 cubic foot cypress packages for like $4...I think I am going to grab a few of those later in the week.
    Make sure it's not a blend, the stuff from the company based on Arkansas (I can't remember the name) is 50% pine, 10% cypress, 40% random hardwoods - whatever they were cutting that week, and it can include cedar and black walnut. I called and asked a few months back after getting all excited about finding "cypress" for a low low price...

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Make sure it's not a blend, the stuff from the company based on Arkansas (I can't remember the name) is 50% pine, 10% cypress, 40% random hardwoods - whatever they were cutting that week, and it can include cedar and black walnut. I called and asked a few months back after getting all excited about finding "cypress" for a low low price...
    That sucks, I already called and it's all cypress.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

all of my heat sources are on dimmers and my thermostats tell me what the temp is.

I think you mean thermometers? Keep in mind that your dimmers do not adjust for ambient temp changes in your house. In winter it isn't too bad but come summer time your guy will be cold. You might have to adjusts just about every time your a/c cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    Look, I get where you are coming from, they irk me a bit too...9 years of keeping and working at a pet store without a T-stat in sight with no issues has me a bit more than doubtful; however, the few I am using now are "OK" once they're set and are good for energy efficiency, some can get pretty stupid even when you actually follow the directions but patience is a virtue. Again, the mechanism is the agreed upon best protection from burns and fires as far as the board is concerned. Anyway, my point is it's a touchy subject for most board members so just be cool and listen to everyone, again whatever you decide, best of luck.
    Don't know what "store" you worked in but none of them that I know of run belly heat, they relay on lighting to heat their animals. They have no clue about what humidity is for either much less anything remotely close to care for any of the animals they sell. Some get it and some never will.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 12-09-2013 at 07:15 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

200xth (12-09-2013)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

WTF happened? Bad Shed...

Thermostats aren't necessary? Really?

Tell that to my darling Althea, who'll always now have terrible scarring up and down her because her owners thought the same thing.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

200xth (12-09-2013),Badgemash (12-09-2013),DooLittle (12-09-2013),PitOnTheProwl (12-09-2013)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast