Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,953

6 members and 2,947 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cypress mulch vs aspen

Just wanted to get a feel for what everyone prefers for bedding for their snakes.

I currently use cypress mulch but am debating in switching to aspen.

Sent from my HTCONE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Cypress holds humidity better, and seems less "dusty" than aspen. Other than that I don't know of much difference. I'd go with Cypress if you have humidity issues. If not, I'd go with what's cheaper/more convenient...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Cypress mulch vs aspen

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Cypress holds humidity better, and seems less "dusty" than aspen. Other than that I don't know of much difference. I'd go with Cypress if you have humidity issues. If not, I'd go with what's cheaper/more convenient...
    I know this is a cypress mulch topic,but the diff between the two is what helps keep humidity....so I'll make my basic comparison between coco husk and aspen...

Sho, I haven't had any issues with dust with aspen at all. I am using coco husk in one tank and aspen in the other....aspen doesn't hold humidity the dampness that the coco husk does. Still with having tanks ,I find myself still basically having to do the same things to both to maintain humidity. It's like if you wanna maintain a steady humidity,rack systems are the best bet..although to wett aspen will mold,had that happen once. I freaked out. But it was really my mistake,I had ran out of coco husk and added aspen by it's self to the cool side to fill in rest of tank,bad idea,no I didn't mix the two,left it separate,apparently didn't matter. My one tank that has aspen,never had I happen.

next weekend I'm Cleaning my tanks fully and will be using Eco earth in both..see how that goes.

i like aspen and have no problems at all..but for holding humidity better than you should go with coco husk,cypress mulch and Eco earth.

My eco earth bag came in the mail and it was damp when I got it,could seethe water inside bag
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 11-29-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

I prefer cypress mulch for humidity, but then I live in a dry area. I would not use eco earth by itself for ball pythons, as the fine particles can often get gunked up in their heat pits and in their mouth. Mixed with Cypress, though, it's great at holding humidity without getting soggy or gross.

Aspen works too, but it's better if you're in a more humid climate or can maintain humidity in your entire snake room.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LLLReptile For This Useful Post:

NYHC4LIFE8899 (11-29-2013)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingkung View Post
    Just wanted to get a feel for what everyone prefers for bedding for their snakes.

I currently use cypress mulch but am debating in switching to aspen.

Sent from my HTCONE
    Cypress has a natural pH that prevents fungal growth, that alone makes it my staple as far as substrate goes. I use aspen for sand boas and it works well for the required low humidity. I often mix coconut coir with my cypress for added humidity retention but as far as most pythons go, the cypress alone is sufficient.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    I currently use cypress mulch and I love the way it looks, but one thing I noticed, but not sure if it's only with mulch. Eveytime my ball poos and if I don't clean it up within an hour or 2 I'll get ants going for it. Any suggestions ?

Sent from my HTCONE

Thanks

I currently use cypress mulch and I love the way it looks, but one thing I noticed, but not sure if it's only with mulch. Eveytime my ball poos and if I don't clean it up within an hour or 2 I'll get ants going for it. Any suggestions ?

Sent from my HTCONE
    That's not likely a mulch issue. You need to figure out where the ants are coming from and get rid of them. Otherwise, you're going to end up with other issues.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    Otherwise, you're going to end up with other issues.
    Ants in his pants?
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

pjvo (12-02-2013)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Sent from my HTCONE
    Ants? Are you certain they are ants? I am pretty sure you know what a mite looks like, but you could actually be observing a detrivorous insect, I forget the name, for that sometimes finds it's way into captive enclosures; however, it is actually a good thing to have around.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    I am positive they are ants. I never seen a mite before. I'll Google it now

Sent from my HTCONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast