Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 756

4 members and 752 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Cypress mulch vs aspen

Need to nuke the mulch first.

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingkung View Post
    I am positive they are ants. I never seen a mite before. I'll Google it now

Sent from my HTCONE
    Yes, you definitely need to know how to identify a mite.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Spring tails are the thing that eat poop They're small and jump around a lot, and they're super common in moisture-holding substrates. They are helpful for keeping poop levels down in planted cages, but it's unusual for them to hang out in rack systems. Tubs usually get cleaned out too often for them to settle in and build up a large population. Letting the mulch dry out more before putting it in can help keep the springtails from getting out of hand.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks
    A layer of newspaper and i mix reptibark, eco earth and aspen together and makeva small layer with that.

Humidity has been perfect.
    Balls
    1.0 Bumblebee Het Ghost
    1.0 Power ball
    0.1 Fire Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin
    Milks
    1.0 Eastern milk snake
    0.1 Extreme Hypo Honduran
    Hognose
    0.1 Western hognose Albino
    Leopard Gecko
    1.0 Sunglow

Beware his song about big butts. He beats you up while he ppppllllaaaaysss iiiit-- Eyugh!

Thanks
    Has anyone ever use an electronic pest repeller? Wondering if it works for ants.

Sent from my HTCONE

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grcforce327 View Post
    Need to nuke the mulch first.

Hold on. You can microwave the mulch?

Thanks

Question Re: Cypress mulch vs aspen

Hello everyone.
    I am new here and I am looking forward to learning and sharing my expectances with my Ball Python named Caesar. I must admit I am not a person who raises snakes. I only have this one and he is such a great and Yes loving animal I have had. He seems to look forward to me getting him out of his domain and spends hours with me watching tv till it is time for me to go to bed and he goes back to his cage for the night.
    I currently have his aspen in his terrarium but I have been reading and watching a lot of videos on how I can better take care of my buddy. I am currently thinking of changing his substrate to Cypress mulch. I would love to hear from you all as to what you think about moving a ball python from aspen to Cypress mulch. One thing I keep reading about is making sure he does not ingest any of that substrate. How do I go about making sure he does not accidentally eat any of it?
    I am really interested in what you all have to say about that subject matter. I doesn't matter if you are a breeder or just have one or two snakes as pets. I only want to make my Caesar as happy and comfortable as I can.

Thank you in advance for your responses

Tom Shepherd

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1950 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I am new here and I am looking forward to learning and sharing my expectances with my Ball Python named Caesar. I must admit I am not a person who raises snakes. I only have this one and he is such a great and Yes loving animal I have had. He seems to look forward to me getting him out of his domain and spends hours with me watching tv till it is time for me to go to bed and he goes back to his cage for the night.
    I currently have his aspen in his terrarium but I have been reading and watching a lot of videos on how I can better take care of my buddy. I am currently thinking of changing his substrate to Cypress mulch. I would love to hear from you all as to what you think about moving a ball python from aspen to Cypress mulch. One thing I keep reading about is making sure he does not ingest any of that substrate. How do I go about making sure he does not accidentally eat any of it?
    I am really interested in what you all have to say about that subject matter. I doesn't matter if you are a breeder or just have one or two snakes as pets. I only want to make my Caesar as happy and comfortable as I can.

Thank you in advance for your responses

Tom Shepherd
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum. This is a very old thread you’ve replied to. You may want to start a new thread introducing yourself and Caesar. You’ll probably get more replies to your inquiry as well. I personally like Reptile Prime or Reptichip substrate for all my snakes. I’ve never had a snake ingest enough substrate to cause any issues and I feed them on it all the time. Best wishes with your new BP. My first snake was a BP named Caesar too. That was decades ago and it’s pretty cool to see it happening again with someone else.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 10-11-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

I live in a relatively humid area so I don't really have to worry about humidity in my enclosure.
    I have used both substrates for a long time and never had issues with either. Snakes have shed fine on both substrates.

If humidity is an issue for you, that might affect your decision but other than that I think it is a mater of preference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12